DISCUSSIONS

Find the answers to many of your expat questions here

View Latest Posts

You're missing out...

As a member you can enjoy exclusive info and offers.

REGISTER NOW

Pet insurance

Posted by sandra r - Created: 3 years ago
0 0
Sorry no image available

10 replies (Showing replies: 1 to 10)

Sorry no image available
Posted by booklover-425753 - 3 years ago

Hi, I also have a westie, and a few years back I looked into Pet Insurance and also chatted with the vet.  A lot of the policies were alot higher than similar in the UK and also the ones that I found wouldn't cover any existing problems and they had exclusions of normal westie related illness and diseases.  Therefore I have animal public liability cover on the house insurance, and I pay the vet when i go.  I worked out it costs me a lot less doing it this way.  and I put some money aside each month into a savings account to cover any future medical expenses.

Sorry no image available
Posted by sandra r - 3 years ago

Hello Iguan Rock.

Yes it is us who bought our Westie from Cornwall, and she has brought so much to our lives we wouldn't be without her for the world, she is so loving and full of character. The reason I was asking about pet insurance was because our daughters mother-inlaw has a Westie and it fell ill with (Pancreasnitis) not sure of the spelling  and Diabetis, it cost her £700 plus £69 a month for insulin injections, she has had Westies before and never needed insurance for them, she wishes now that she had for this one, so that's what got us thinking on that line. We will have to make some inquiries.

Thank you all for your messages.

Sandra

Sorry no image available
Posted by sunshinedays - 3 years ago

It depends on what is wrong with your pet to determine whether it is cheaper in France for vet bills. Over 18 months we paid over 5,000 euros.

I had in the past looked at pet insurance but it is very expensive compared to the UK and if it is anything like house insurance then not much will be covered when trying to claim, as we have experienced. 

Medicines are quite expensive but our vet kindly gives me a prescription for eg. Stronghold and Metacam knowing that it can be bought so much cheaper from the UK. I don't like having to do that but the savings are huge.

Sorry no image available
Posted by Tryval - 3 years ago

As Freckle says, vets are not expensive in France,plus, most house insurance includes responsibility civil, which normaly covers, i.e. animals (children even)! causing an accident etc,

Sorry no image available
Posted by Iguana Rock - 3 years ago

Is that the little Westie you got from Cornwall? I am Cornish and I seem to remember a previous conversation. I am envious as I ADORE Westies! 

Sorry no image available
Posted by berny-382476 - 3 years ago

We wish we had pet insurance for our st. Bernard, , we thought like you freckleface. We now pay over €230 per month for his medication.

Some people have said put him down, that's definitely not an option - he's our baby !!!!

Sorry no image available

Thank you everyone you have given us food for thought.

Sandra

Sorry no image available
Posted by JLJ-429896 - 3 years ago

I'd second freckleface's comments. People not having insurance has kept vets' bills reasonable. 

Sorry no image available
Posted by bunnyrocks - 3 years ago

AXA also offer pet insurance for cats & dogs - http://brittany.angloinfo.com/af/420/pet-insurance.html

Sorry no image available

Thankyou freckleface we will look into that one.

Sandra