DISCUSSIONS

Find the answers to many of your expat questions here

View Latest Posts

You're missing out...

As a member you can enjoy exclusive info and offers.

REGISTER NOW

Rabies vaccinations

Posted by kerguen - Created: 3 years ago
0 0
Sorry no image available

10 replies (Showing replies: 1 to 10)

Sorry no image available
Posted by bretonne - 3 years ago

The change only applies to the Rabisin vaccine for dogs (Purevax for cats) - both manufactured by Meriel.

Sorry no image available
Posted by shepherdscrook - 3 years ago

but it shouldn't matter which vet you go to if the law has changed then your Vet should be au fait with all new regulations regarding small animals.

I will be asking my vet when I take 2 of my dogs at the end of the month for their boosters what is the new regulation and hope they are upto date. If the vet says nothing I will take a copy of the new regulations with me as  proof.

When the regulations changed for blood tests back in 2012 my vet tried to get me to have one of my young dogs blood tested at the beginning of 2012 and didn't believe me when I told them it wasn't neccessary now. I had to take in a copy of the DEFRA regulations taken from their web site which my vets should have had!!!!!!

Sorry no image available
Posted by cmat-437477 - 3 years ago

Had my little pooch done on Wednesday, renewable next year so I presume it is the vet that you go to, and it differs from vet to vet.

Sorry no image available
Posted by walnut72 - 3 years ago

I'm cross now that my vet said nothing and just put 1 year.

It costs around 50 euros per dog per year so with 3 dogs it will be a big saving for me, grrrrrrrrrr

Sorry no image available
Posted by kerguen - 3 years ago

Thanks for the link - that clarifies why last year we had to redo it yearly and now we have 3 years - the law evidently changed a month or two after last years jabs.   They have always used Rabisin on Suki and we always go a day or two before the date on the passport so it never expires.  I suppose it depends too on how au fait with the law individual vets are.

Sorry no image available
Posted by Cumbrian-440719 - 3 years ago

There is useful info on this thread.

http://dordogne.angloinfo.com/forum/viewtopic/49647

One of the posters dianajames is a vet(in her profile0. According to this thread it  appears that the first year the vaccine lasts for a year and after that the boosters last for three.I have read elsewhere, though, that the second vaccination must be done before the first expires.

Sorry no image available
Posted by Ohhhhthatswhereiputit - 3 years ago

Hi, Milo had his rabies jab on feb 3rd this year and we were told by our vet it now lasts 3 years. It is also written in his passport that his next jab is 2018.

Sorry no image available

I read the entire text and nowhere does it mention 3 years.I think I'll go with my vets advice for now as I would not like to encounter a problem, especially as we have a caravan on a site in the vendee and dogs are not admitted without passports being up to date. However I hope you are right as it would save me a lot of money with 3 dogs. Just hope if it is now the law that all the ports are upto date too as it would be sad if dogs are impounded, you know how slow the french are to accept new rules

Sorry no image available
Posted by kerguen - 3 years ago

A partir du 29 décembre 2014 une nouvelle réglementation relative aux échanges des chiens, chats et furets au sein de l’Union européenne se met en place.
De nouvelles règles sont définies pour le passeport pour animal de compagnie, l’âge minimum de la vaccination contre la rage, le transport d’un animal par une personne autre que son propriétaire, les voyages avec plus de 5 animaux.

This was on the agricultural ministry site.      I have not read it all but from reading material around the subject also,  the veterinaire (perhaps depending on the dog in question - ie not known aggressive  dogs) can now use  the drug manufacturers dates of revaccination on the passport.

Sorry no image available

what it is saying,,

In no case, regardeless of the date of duration of the vaccine which was given initially must you go over one year before having the booster