DISCUSSIONS

Find the answers to many of your expat questions here

View Latest Posts

You're missing out...

As a member you can enjoy exclusive info and offers.

REGISTER NOW

Rabies Vaccinations and Pet passport

Posted by walnut72 - Created: 3 years ago
0 0
Sorry no image available

10 replies (Showing replies: 1 to 10)

Sorry no image available
Posted by sirius-400550 - 1 year ago

This is an old post, but Bearfoot has had his vaccine valid for three years from a french vet.    I'm pleased to hear this. After a recent visit to the vet for the rabies vaccine, my own vet noticed how many trips I'd made and suggested I have my dogs rabies vaccines done in UK where the date is automatically three years.  I queried if this was okay as my address is here and I thought it had to be done where you are domiciled.  He said it didn't matter; the only thing that mattered was the date of the stamp from the vet.   Two days later, at the port, I checked with the customs when they checked my dogs passports if this would be okay by them if my vaccines were done every three years.  They said it's fine, the date stamped by the vet is all they are interested in when checking passports.

Sorry no image available
Posted by Cumbrian-440719 - 3 years ago

I think I'll continue to get mine done in the Uk where it is three years(maison secondaire) until all is clear.

Sorry no image available
Posted by walnut72 - 3 years ago

Our vet says the vaccine is valid for 3 years, she agrees that no problem, BUT she says for pet travel passports the recall is every year.

who knows???? its a mess. I will get mine done every year until I hear otherwise from my vet

Sorry no image available

Does this shed any light?

http://www.rescue-forum.com/chiens-144/vaccin-rabisin-chez-merial-120375/

If you double click on the letter it will enlarge.

There are clearly some conditions to be met. Age of dog on first innoculation , use of Rabisin, innoculating within the one year time frame.

Same info here from technidog website:

Nouvelle législation pour les rappels.

Cette législation n’est valable qu’avec le vaccin Rabisin des laboratoires Mérial qui a suivi les tests de conservation de l’immunité vaccinale ayant permis cette modification. La primovaccination doit toujours être réalisée sur un animal identifiée de plus de 3 mois d’âge. Légalement, celle-ci ne sera considérée comme valable que 3 semaines après la date de l’injection. Le premier rappel de la primovaccination sera réalisé 1 an après puis ensuite les rappels pourront être réalisés tous les 3 ans au maximum.

Sorry no image available

Does this shed any light?

http://www.rescue-forum.com/chiens-144/vaccin-rabisin-chez-merial-120375/

If you double click on the letter it will enlarge.

There are clearly some conditions to be met. Age of dog on first innoculation , use of Rabisin, innoculating within the one year time frame.

Same info here from technidog website:

Nouvelle législation pour les rappels.

Cette législation n’est valable qu’avec le vaccin Rabisin des laboratoires Mérial qui a suivi les tests de conservation de l’immunité vaccinale ayant permis cette modification. La primovaccination doit toujours être réalisée sur un animal identifiée de plus de 3 mois d’âge. Légalement, celle-ci ne sera considérée comme valable que 3 semaines après la date de l’injection. Le premier rappel de la primovaccination sera réalisé 1 an après puis ensuite les rappels pourront être réalisés tous les 3 ans au maximum.

Sorry no image available
Posted by bearfoot - 3 years ago

I had my dogs booster done last september in France with a 3 year renawal date and no problems going to the UK. (or other countries).

The govt.uk website says: "You must get regular booster vaccinations for your pet before they’re due. Check the ‘valid until’ date in the relevant section of the pet passport"

I must say that it is about time that the booster dates were extended as the effectiveness of the vaccine has been known about for a very long time.

Sorry no image available
Posted by buster-784461 - 3 years ago

The only confusion is that UK vets give 3 yrs & french vets 1 yr. - unless the law has been changed and the vets are not up to speed!!

But the date of renewal will be in the passeport! - you have to go by that.

Sorry no image available
Posted by buster-784461 - 3 years ago

The only confusion is that UK vets give 3 yrs & french vets 1 yr. - unless the law has been changed and the vets are not up to speed!!

But the date of renewal will be in the passeport! - you have to go by that.

Sorry no image available
Posted by Lynny-10034653 - 3 years ago

We have an 8 years old cat. She was first inoculated for rabies in 2009 and at that time had to undergo a blood test to confirm the vaccine had been successful. It was valid until 2012 and we never had any trouble passing through countries. We lived on a Greek island but travelled extensively through France, Italy, Switzerland and Greece with our camper. We had to visit many French vets during this time to get her back to UK as cats had to have the tick and worm treatment then. We spent 2 years back in the UK and didn't get her rabies vaccine renued until 2014 when we decided to come to live in Brittany. We took her to the UK vet who gave her another vaccine which covers her until 2017. She didn't have to have a blood test this time as the rules have changed. We have been back to the UK 4 times and have never had any trouble. It's all very confusing but we trusted our vet who is DEFRA registered as the all have to be to issue the passport. 

Sorry no image available
Posted by walnut72 - 3 years ago

our vet gave rabisin today and said the 1 year rule for travel passports is the law, NOT the date de validité , of the vaccine