DISCUSSIONS

Find the answers to many of your expat questions here

View Latest Posts

You're missing out...

As a member you can enjoy exclusive info and offers.

REGISTER NOW

Swallows

Posted by saver-399307 - Created: 4 years ago
0 0
Sorry no image available

5 replies (Showing replies: 1 to 5)

Sorry no image available
Posted by salsachica - 4 years ago

Saw my first swallow a few days ago but only the one and haven't seen any more since despite spending most of my days in the garden. Strawberries? Already? Wow that's really early. They must be the ones that you sow late summer I got given a packet as a gift and it says to sow them July/August. 

That's a lovely story about the chicks. I rescued a waterlogged newly fledged swift last year. The weather was atrocious and I think it had been blown off course. Little known fact that I found out - swifts never come down to the ground and find it extremely hard to take off again if that should happen. I tied helping it to get airborne again as was worried that it would get taken by a cat but it was too weak and also too weak to stay on a roost. So I took it inside, found a flower pot and lined it with sheeps wool, put some water and dead insects in there, covered it with mesh and left it over night in a dark quiet place. I was convinced that it wouldn't still be alive in the morning but it was and all the better for a good night's rest and it also had eaten the food. When I took it back outside it called to the others that it could hear and very quickly rejoined them. Happy ending. 

Sorry no image available
Posted by Pat-Paul - 4 years ago

Our swallow nests/youngings always gets eaten by the magpies. Poor birds..

There is always next year.

Sorry no image available
Posted by NellP-986196 - 4 years ago

Our swallows and swifts arrived over a week ago ( Dept 22) we haven't heard it yet but our neighbour has heard the cuckoo, she is also chasing the Merle of the garden because they are eating the strawberries!

Sorry no image available
Posted by lqe29a - 4 years ago

Heard the first Cuckoo this morning, near Josselin.

Sorry no image available
Posted by nelly15 - 4 years ago

Ours not arrived yet. Last year it was 9/4. Everything is later this year all blossom by a couple of weeks. We live in 22 near Dinan.