DISCUSSIONS

Find the answers to many of your expat questions here

View Latest Posts

You're missing out...

As a member you can enjoy exclusive info and offers.

REGISTER NOW

Travelling from Brittany to Spain

Posted by justchillin - Created: 3 years ago
0 0
Sorry no image available

10 replies (Showing replies: 1 to 10)

Sorry no image available
Posted by phlophf-409902 - 3 years ago

crossed the border into spain (near Irun) last evening with our 2 cats...was expecting to be stopped, but didn't even realise we were in Spain until a mile or so over the border.....no sign of anyone....so much for security..

just an aside to this thread...we stopped for the night at pamplona.....this morning at 9.30 am i was stopped 100 yards from the hotel  by a roadside police check and breathalysed.......(and yes it was negative)...but he asked for my driving licence...I offered him my international one which he refused.....so gave him my French one ...which i changed ro french in 2013...it completely flummoxed him as he declared it was out of date, as there are sections which say valid until 2013....it took some considerable time....and a lot of chitchat on his radio, to convince him that that date only refered to the sections i was not covered to drive (eg a bus)....and that i was in fact covered for a car....

Sorry no image available
Posted by rua-408032 - 3 years ago

We take our dog and our motorhome to Spain every winter, never yet been asked for any papers in relation to either, in fact have never seen a manned border post on either the east or the west coast..   Of course it may be different this year.   We always use the motorways and travel on a Sunday.

Enjoy your trip.

Sorry no image available
Posted by justchillin - 3 years ago

Hi there thanks for your info. I have got her all up to date now anyway, as someone else said they are stopping everyone, cos of the paris trouble, which of course is fair enough.  yes your right, I shouldnt have reacted, but it was one of those days. Happy Sunday

Sorry no image available
Posted by ardlieinit - 3 years ago

Travelling to Spain with dogs is not a problem, only if you intend to stay on some campsites, no one has ever asked at the border for documentation or pet passport, but some campsites ask for proof of vacinations and chip number or tattoo, but we have never had to show anything, they just take our word that it has been done. It is a completely different matter though if you are travelling back to the U.K, thats when the 21day and 5 day rules will apply, so don't worry, enjoy the trip, and as for "farmingbrittany's" comments, don't tarr people with your own brush !!!!!!!!

Sorry no image available

Thanks so much for your very helpful reply, and information about the area. have a good weekend

Sorry no image available

What a very strange reply, as I was merely asking if anyone had travelled with their dog, as someone told me they travelled regularly and were never asked for any documents, for themselves or their dogs. For your information, I never break the rules, or travel without a driving licence., and my dog now has her injection completely up to date. Maybe you got out of bed on the wrong side  today, as everyone else, except for yourself on this site, have been extremely helpful, and a pleasure to chat with,  which is what Anglo Info is supposed to be about isnt it ? Try and have a nice day

Sorry no image available
Posted by Yellowperill - 3 years ago

if you dont want to get in trouble then dont break the rules, if you get stopped and done then serves you right, hope you have a driving licence or are you hoping you wont get stopped

Sorry no image available
Posted by les wazzo - 3 years ago

I meant really that the area around Le Perthus itself, on the ordinary road that goes through the town, was quiet when we went on a Thursday morning, although that may now have changed on the build up to Christmas.  The towns of Le Perthus and La Jonquera on the other side of the border, get very busy at week ends and there may be more customs presence then.  The motorway will be certainly quieter on a Sunday, although the no lorries rule only applies to the French side.  I don't know what the border controls are like on the motorway at the moment though - sorry.

The road that runs from Le Boulou to Le Perthus, and on into Spain, through La Jonquera, doesn't really have any sheer drops as such - it's a main road, but it is quite windy on the French side for about 6 kilometres. 

As I said before though - I doubt they will be interested in your dog.  We take the papers for ours if we are going to be in Spain for a length of time, such as holidays, but don't bother if we're just going over for a day, for hiking, bird watching etc.

Sorry no image available

Thanks so much for that info. I have put it back a little now, just to be safe. I have not done this journey before, and was told that sunday was the best day to travel on the motorway as there werent any lorries, maybe thats just France, and perhaps as you say midweek would be quieter.  Im  not too good with sheer drops either, so hoping the motorwary will be the best bet. How lovely to be just on the border so you can pop into Spain, sounds perfect. 

Sorry no image available
Posted by les wazzo - 3 years ago

We live near the Spanish border and went shopping last week in Spain, going via Le perthus on the route nationale.  No one stopped us in either direction at either the French or Spanish sides.  We did read in our local paper though, that there are regular checks on all the roads in and out of Spain in our area ( there are several samall roads over the mountains.).  I can't say what it's like on the motorway though.  And it may be that we were just lucky and the Douane were lesewhere on that particular day. ( quiet midweek day).  The following Saturday, customs checks were causing major tailbacks.  

I doubt they will bother you about the dog - we've been back and forth through the frontier with our dog many times and no one has ever asked to see her papers even on the odd occasion when we've been stopped.