DISCUSSIONS

Find the answers to many of your expat questions here

View Latest Posts

You're missing out...

As a member you can enjoy exclusive info and offers.

REGISTER NOW

Young hedgehog

Posted by myrtle-391965 - Created: 3 years ago
0 0
Sorry no image available

10 replies (Showing replies: 1 to 10)

Sorry no image available
Posted by tigre-979768 - 3 years ago

Yes, I second that Jamie, well done Myrtle for trying.

Posted by itinerant child-414831 - 3 years ago

Sad news indeed myrtle that destiny chose that outcome. Well done to you for making the effort in taking it in and taking the time to find out what to do.

Luvnstuff

Jamie xx

Sorry no image available
Posted by myrtle-391965 - 3 years ago

Sadly, the little guy didn't make it through the night.  Not really surprised as he was pretty far gone when we found him, obviously been out in the rain and the cold.  But you have to hope and try, don't you.  This abnormal weather must be catching out a lot of animals that normally hibernate.

Sorry no image available
Posted by tigre-979768 - 3 years ago

Valbonne-home, I take it your post is not serious?  Cat/dog meat is the best but not fish recipes and as others have said water not milk.

Sorry no image available
Posted by myrtle-391965 - 3 years ago

Thanks everyone for your replies and advice.  Got him tucked up in a box with food and water for tonight, just have to see how he is in the morning.  One kind person has offered to take him and see him through the winter, so fingers crossed.

Sorry no image available
Posted by valbonne-home - 3 years ago

It is illegal to keep a hedgehog in France. Remember, this is not the UK.

Call your nearest or your own vet.

Gotta love luap1 suggestion to give it "cat meat'. I guess you could ask at the local Chinese resto for it.

Posted by itinerant child-414831 - 3 years ago

Great contact there mondayschild1,I will certainly jot down didiers number,thanks.

Sirius,many thanks for the milk warning,I did not know that it was bad for them and put it out for them on the recommendation of someone I trusted and back then I did not have any internet knowledge and until seeing your post and checking up on the net,I did not know that putting out milk could put their life at risk. Thanks for sharing that important info.

Luvnstuff

Jamie xx

Sorry no image available
Posted by luap1 - 3 years ago

Hi Myrtle,

I think the nearest hedgehog sanctuary is quite some distance away ( from what I recall somewhere between  Nantes and Angers ).

http://www.herissons.chez.com/herisson-tel.htm

This link to the RSPCA  site might help you re: local care and feeding if you end up taking care of it.

http://www.rspca.org.uk/adviceandwelfare/wildlife/inthewild/gardenhedgehogs

Please note that milk and any other dairy products are not suitable foods for most animals including hedgehogs, cats, dogs and wildbirds….they are  intolerant to them.  Fresh water to drink, some cat meat and cat biscuits are just the right size ( dog biscuits are too big )

If you found the hedgehog during daytime it may be that’s it’s blind and disorientated,  or possibly the parent has gone looking for food and become lost or injured thus unintentionally abandoning it’s young. – adult hedgehogs can travel several miles searching for food.

I regularly get family groups of hedgehogs feeding in the garden,  the young often feeding without the parent.   Just in case it’s not been abandoned try to give it some shelter and regular food close to the area where you found it, in doing this it gives the parent an opportunity to find it’s young again.

Hibernation time varies according to the ground surface being frozen, this is because their food supply of slugs and worms go deeper underground. Last year my hedgehogs went into hibernation around Christmas time reappearing again third week of February.

Good luck.

Sorry no image available
Posted by No longer Online - 3 years ago

I forgot to give you the website for Volee de Piafs

It's 

http://voleedepiafs.eklablog.com/appel-animal-en-detresse-c25308036

Sorry no image available
Posted by No longer Online - 3 years ago

Contact Didier 06 08 98 42 36 (BETWEEN 8AM AND 7PM)

He runs Volee de Piaffs which rescues injured animals and birds.

They are based near Languidic but they can also arrange for the animal to be picked up from your local vets.

They are a charity, not funded by any government grants and they do not take any salary or payment themselves. 

I think Didier speaks english, if you have any problems send me a mail and I will liaise on your behalf.

For tonight put the hedgehog in a box with some straw/hay/torn up newspaper and try him on some cat food if you have any.

Good luck