DISCUSSIONS

Find the answers to many of your expat questions here

View Latest Posts

You're missing out...

As a member you can enjoy exclusive info and offers.

REGISTER NOW

Best places to walk in Brittany, ?

Posted by itinerant child-414831 - Created: 3 years ago
0 0

10 replies (Showing replies: 1 to 10)

Posted by itinerant child-414831 - 3 years ago

Thank you all for you your recommendations. I think I shall try the one near gouarec next week to help shed a pound or two after visiting friends over the xmas period. Thanks koat.

Luvnstuff

Jamie xx

Sorry no image available
Posted by koat - 3 years ago

The Circuit des Landes de Liscuis is a lovely walk; 14k but I think there's a 10k option too. Starts at Gouarec, walk up and along the ridge to the allées couvertes, cross over the main road at Bon Repos, carry on through the Bois de Gouarec (or along the towpath) back to the start. 

Sorry no image available
Posted by night&day - 3 years ago

When we lived near Morlaix we began walking the Brest Nantes canal, some years later we moved to the morbihan  picked up where we had left off, some distance to the north of us. Now 5 years later we have 0nly some 30ks to go. The entire walk has been both beautiful & with canals being on a more or less level its also easy walking.

night&day

Just had a nice walk around cranou and apart from getting a tad damp it was very pleasurable. Cockney spent hours checking the pee-mails from other dogs :-)

A walk from side to side of pentrez beach is always nice and refreshing thing to do on a clear day at low tide.I parked in the parking in front of the blue bar-resto and went left over to the rocks then all the way back across to st nic and back again. Its hard to say what the distance is but am guessing that it was four-five miles ish.

Also just to verify that after spending a night parked up on menez hom and having a good walk around a lot of the paths that follow the contours of the hillside,it is most definattely not wheel-pushchair friendly.

Amuser vous bien ( enjoy yourselves )

Luvnstuff

Jamie xx

Sorry no image available
Posted by bretonne - 3 years ago

For forest walks try Cranou (near Le Faou/Rumengol) and the Coatloc'h near Scaer (both in Finistere)

Both good for long or short walks and plenty of paths suitable for wheelchairs and push chairs.

http://www.lefaou.fr/la-foret-domaniale-du-cranou.htm

http://naturepassion.e-monsite.com/pages/coins-de-balades/foret-de-coatloc-h-scaer.html

Sorry no image available
Posted by Older Punk - 3 years ago

The coast to the west of Doelan- South west of Quimperle is really stunning, with small fishing ports, (Merrien, Brigneau), dotted along the coast line. It's a bit of a trek though because of all the little creeks and esturies.

I may well get a chance to do the tour of Drennec in a few days time as have got to nip upto finistere and thought that I would get in some nice walking when I get there,thanks for that. 

I may head out to the presquille de crozon and do a couple of strolls around there. One of my favourites which is not chair friendly but is very pretty and open to the elements is the walk from the port of morgat out around the coast path taking in cap de la chevre and the lovely surfing beach of la palue-la palud (depending on which sign you read) and then back down through the dunes and cross country back to morgat. Quite a few years since I last did the entire section,but would guess that it is about ten miles.Good excercise and lovely views and smells.

There are some nice walks out around menez hom too but I cant remember them well enough to offer a good circular. Lovely views of both mer et terre (sea and earth) from up there.

Maybe worth planning your walks now so that you can walk off those extra christmas kilo's that may appear !!

Love,light and fresh air to all 

Jamie xx

Sorry no image available
Posted by chef du gare - 3 years ago

A walk with my dog along the Yvel river to the bar by the old bridge and back is the perfect way to end the day  takes between one and two hours, depending on the season.

CdG

Sorry no image available
Posted by Iguana Rock - 3 years ago

Sorry but I beg to differ about Wendy Mewes' books. I find them to lack basic instructions. And many of the walks are not that interesting. We use Google Maps to work out routes of our own and it works really well (and free!).

With regard to Lac Drennec - I would say about 90% of it is wheelchair-friendly but there are a few sections that are probably not. We usually take about 2 hours to walk around it but that's non-stop.  We like to visit the Bistro whilst we're there - excellent food! (That's on the Stamadec side).

Sorry no image available
Posted by bretonne - 3 years ago

Wendy Mewes (who lives in Brittany) has written some excellent books on various walks - here's a link to more information  http://www.brittanywalks.com/books.htm