DISCUSSIONS

Find the answers to many of your expat questions here

View Latest Posts

You're missing out...

As a member you can enjoy exclusive info and offers.

REGISTER NOW

Bridge

Posted by withers - Created: 4 years ago
0 0
Sorry no image available

7 replies (Showing replies: 1 to 7)

Sorry no image available
Posted by withers - 4 years ago

Yes indeed, Blossom, I am grateful to you for the info, And I apogise for not replying earlier, but I had got caught up with another reply

Sorry no image available
Posted by Emu-408495 - 4 years ago

Thank you Blossom for your kind and informative reply.  I, for one, am grateful for the information you have provided and I am sure the OP is thankful too.

Sorry no image available

Hi, Itwasntme, thank you for your reply.

However, previously when I enquired about boat moorings, you made the same comment, that I needed to tell you where I was going to live.

Could you not accept that I may have my own agenda as a thinking person. To me and my wife, our life is more than just a house. Our boat, and social pleasures are important. So it makes sense to us, to research all of these aspects, (which include many more, I may well be asking for help on). Based on this information and more visits to Bretagne, we will decide on the area best suited to us to find a house. I hope this helps you to understand.

Sorry no image available
Posted by Itwasntme-998041 - 4 years ago

withers indeed I know of a few but as I said unless you know where you are going to locate to seems to be a waste of time asking the question. if you are going to live in cancale would you want to play bridge in Brest. 

Sorry no image available

To Itwasntme.

All I really wanted was info on  bridge clubs that members may know of where they live.

If you do not know of one then fine, I am aware of the size of Bretagne

Sorry no image available
Posted by Itwasntme-998041 - 4 years ago

well withers Brittany is some 34,000 square kilometres it may help to know where about you would be located.

Sorry no image available
Posted by Blossom-386748 - 4 years ago

Hi - Bridge is a hugely popular game in France and most towns have at least one club with players of all levels and ages.  You don't say where you'll be living, but if you take a look at the website of the Federation Francaise de Bridge www.ffbridge.asso.fr/ you will be able to find a club close to you.

Most clubs have regular nights for social play each week  and two or three (possibly more) nights a month when everyone plays in the national tournaments, where they can earn points to improve their ranking.  These are played simultaneously throughout France, with the same proscribed hands.  At the end you will achieve a rank within France for that tournament and this will count to your personal rank at the end of each season.  There are also regional tournaments and most clubs organise social events too.

You may not know that the bidding system in France isn't ACOL, but Majeure Cinquieme (Major Five).  Not a problem, especially if you have a playing partner using the same system as you.  Even if you don't, I'm sure you will find that any club will welcome you and help you to enjoy your bridge to the full.

And it's a great way to improve your French!   Enjoy!