DISCUSSIONS

Find the answers to many of your expat questions here

View Latest Posts

You're missing out...

As a member you can enjoy exclusive info and offers.

REGISTER NOW

Congrats to Chris Froome

Posted by piechipsandpeas - Created: 3 years ago
0 0
Sorry no image available

7 replies (Showing replies: 11 to 17)

Sorry no image available
Posted by Grow Your Own - 3 years ago

although nobody has mentioned it, is not he South African?

Sorry no image available
Posted by PamandAndrew-390752 - 3 years ago

Hi Davel...I know nothing about cycling but enjoy watching any sport. I don't know the ins and outs of how this sport is run but simply commenting as an 'ordinary onlooker' which most people are, I guess. I'm afraid any sport...cycling, athletics or whatever has to live with it's history and try to put it in the past but this takes a few years. Most of us know nothing about Lance Armstrong, apart from his cheating but if, as you say, the governing bodies knew he was a cheat and did nothing how are we meant to believe it's not happening now. Chris Froome is innocent (hopefully) but he has to live with the tarnished reputation of the sport...I'm not judging him and don't condone the actions of some of the spectators...I was just commenting that I don't think he will be put on the pedestal that he probably deserves. It appears to me that a lot of sport isn't correctly governed as there's simply too much money at stake and the money side of it has become much more important than the sport...a real shame but such is life...

Sorry no image available
Posted by davel-383163 - 3 years ago

i'm sorry Pam&Andrew, but firstly there is the presumption of innocent until proven guilty, secondly we know that they do but the media should not be allowed to make serious unfounded allegations without evidence and if there is no evidence then sanctions should be taken against the accusers.

and thirdly what about the Quintana and Valverde? they came 2nd and 3rd, Quintana was unbelievable on the climbs in the alps and Valverde suddenly struck form from nowhere and both in the same team, that statement is similar to the innuendo about Froome 'he was too good, he must be on something'.

Armstrong got away with it because the people who 'ran' the sport lied and covered up for him, everybody knew he was a doper and in their cover up the authorities and Armstrong not only besmirched some of the sports clean, honest and legendary cyclists with false allegations but also led to several losing everything they had ever worked for because of his litigation, that is how deep that scandal runs.

and even though an open secret about his doping, I can't recall Armstrong being spat at or having urine thrown at him.

Sorry no image available
Posted by PamandAndrew-390752 - 3 years ago

But wasn't it several years before they discovered the evidence on Armstrong...I'm not saying Froome is a cheat but the media have a 'track record' as they were convinced Armstrong was on something! I'm afraid the Tour is 'damaged' and it will take a few years before the allegations stop, if ever. It goes beyond 'sport' when there's so much money involved...as with everything. It's a shame for Froome but it goes with the territory nowadays...people will naturally be suspicious of anyone who is that much better than the rest and he'll probably never get the admiration that he probably deserves...

Sorry no image available
Posted by davel-383163 - 3 years ago

indeed well done Chris Froome despite the disgraceful behaviour of some the French media, making allegations without offering one shred of evidence, their unfounded allegations was the catalyst for some of the disgusting behaviour on the road by a few fans, directed at Sky and especially Froome.

The race organisers needed to have nipped this in bud early on by asking the police to investigate and if the members of the media had no actual evidence of any wrongdoing whatsoever banned those members of the media from the rest of the tour and next years.

it was the only stain on what IMO is now the greatest sporting event on the planet.

Sorry no image available
Posted by piechipsandpeas - 3 years ago

I agree but some seem to ' object ' to the Sky team etc

Sorry no image available
Posted by one4all-436374 - 3 years ago

Chris Froome gets the deserved honours but congratulations are also due to all at Team Sky, success was due to a fantastic team effort.