DISCUSSIONS

Find the answers to many of your expat questions here

View Latest Posts

You're missing out...

As a member you can enjoy exclusive info and offers.

REGISTER NOW

Football learning from Rugby

Posted by piechipsandpeas - Created: 3 years ago
0 0
Sorry no image available

9 replies (Showing replies: 1 to 9)

Posted by itinerant child-414831 - 3 years ago

Just a point to make about stuart hogg the scotland full backs dive,in that he did that stupid and unsporting move in front of maybe the worlds best referee nigel owens,who not only put him in his place there and then,as he has done before,and now his cards be marked. One of the things I have always loved about rugby is that sense of fairplay and I agree that any form of cheating that appears should be dealt with quickly to keep it the good and respectful sport that it is.

If I am cardiff or supporting wales from somewhere else and see bad attitude or cheating,I am the first to agree with the deserved dicipline handed out.

One thing that has always impressed me is that the refs decision is final and majoritively players will walk straight off when told to leave the field.

Rugby is not the only sport that has fairplay though and it is visible in most sports. Cheating and bad attitude should be irradicated from all sports to make every event a true sporting event.

If it was not for the diving and the attitude to the ref in football,I for one would enjoy the game much more.

One thing to hold in mind though is gamesmanship which is a level of play that generally allows players to play realy tight upto the limit and sometimes just over it,and I understand and accept this a bit more as it means that people are not afraid to realy push the limits and give us a greater match at the same time. The ref,linesmen and tmo are there to make sure that this is not pushed too far and in general do a great job in regulating the game and keeping it a good clean game.

Take out cheating and sport has so many positives.

Long may it continue.

Love and light

Jamie xx

Sorry no image available
Posted by Rock-Wool - 3 years ago

Is this not the job of the 5/6th ref.? Fouls in the box? Who seems to just be there getting paid as he has never made a call though he is looking right at the play. Hawk-eye tells the 1st ref if it is a goal or not so that is out of the 5/6th refs control.

Soccer players can & do get bans after the game ends if no ref sees the foul; ie. Costa(cheski) v Arsenal, but to introduce video replays will never happen. Even during the the Champions League game on Wednesday; Bastien Pigf****er got a yellow card for ManU not at the foul but after Wolfburgs ended thier possesion.

More and/or  professional refs would be the best choice. They have only been "pros" for a little time and make cents compared to the players or coaches.

Sorry no image available
Posted by Gleaner - 3 years ago

TBH with you, I have lost all interested in football these days, its become the proper Andrex league and is full of overpaid prima donas........and to be honest, most sport is going  the same way I think

Sorry no image available
Posted by piechipsandpeas - 3 years ago

It does at a lot of grounds but the ref is not ' allowed ' to watch / look / change his mind etc ( take yesterdays game at Chelsea - the Chelsea defender was trying to rip the shirt off Southamptom player , ref never saw it etc but if video replays were allowed 4th Official could have made the ref aware , viewed it on screen and given a penalty + might stop JM whinging ! ) - just a thought

Sorry no image available

Agree with what you say PCAP's, but can you imagine the carnage which might occur if playback of an incident which happened on the pitch was relayed minute by minute to the crowds of football supporters from some clubs on huge  TV screens like they do in Rugby......or does that already exist?........or am  I still living in the 70's?

Sorry no image available

Possible ! but unlikely ( unless Blatter is in charge of rugby also )

Sorry no image available

bills?

Sorry no image available

I missed that - I doubt rugby will follow football ( the authorities have more b#lls ! )

Sorry no image available
Posted by rance-781573 - 3 years ago

Rather interesting to see a Scottish player feigning injury yesterday, is Rugby going the way of football?