DISCUSSIONS

Find the answers to many of your expat questions here

View Latest Posts

You're missing out...

As a member you can enjoy exclusive info and offers.

REGISTER NOW

German Paratroopers in Mur de Bretagne

Posted by saver-399307 - Created: 3 years ago
0 0
Sorry no image available

6 replies (Showing replies: 1 to 6)

Sorry no image available
Posted by Fitter - 3 years ago

Could you kind of enlarge on that last post of yours Bob1746 pls?

Sorry no image available
Posted by Bob1746 - 3 years ago

They were in the area....about 16 were killed by the Chasse.....I have all the transcripts from the Jedborourgh Team that operated around Morbihan, the giles team were the ones who called in the bombing of Tro Jolie....ok I know...spelling.....

Sorry no image available

That last ties in with something I read recently about the drainng of the lake. There are many photos of the sunken boat. Could that be the comandereed lobster boat that the germans used to patrol the lake? Th RAF sunk it apparently but I can't find any records that confirm that.

Sorry no image available
Posted by vulcan-395582 - 3 years ago

Just found this  on internet.  Not paratroopers but German occupation around the barrage area.  they used it to power the submarine base at Lorient by the looks of things.

http://www.central-brittany.com/About_Brittany/What-s_on___/Events_2015/events_2015.html

During World War 2, the Germans occupied the barrage, using its electricity to power their submarine base at Lorient, and so making Guerledan a major target for English aircraft.

In 1943 and 1944, the air raids on the Guerledan transformer made it very difficult to distribute the electricity and the Germans had to build a pillbox to protect it, which was only demolished in 2010. They finally left the area in August 1944.

The barrage and power plant were nationalised in 1946 and have since belonged to EDF.

Sorry no image available

I have recently read a lot of history of the course of WW2 in Brittany post D-Day. I have never seen any reference to German paratroops in or around Mur de Bretagne.

It begs the question of why would they chose to be there? Easily surrounded and cut off, no fortifications or defences, vulnerable to air attacks, as the allies had almost complete air superiority after D-Day.

After D-Day the German forces concentrated within the perimeters of  the fortified ports, using mainly the U- boat bases of Brest, Lorient,and St Nazaire. 

German paratroopers defended Brest and fought hard.

Brest was taken after a long 5-6 week battle inflicting 10,000 killed and wounded on the US forces, because of the high cost in casualties the US forces decided to surround and contain Lorient and St Nazaire rather than go head to head again.

Sorry no image available
Posted by Kernowboy-10061199 - 3 years ago

I don't know the answer to your question but there is a museum in l'Etang Neuf which might provide you with some information. It's a museum dedicated to the Resistance in central Brittany. l'Etang Neuf, if you aren't aware, is just outside Plesidy.