DISCUSSIONS

Find the answers to many of your expat questions here

View Latest Posts

You're missing out...

As a member you can enjoy exclusive info and offers.

REGISTER NOW

New to boating in France

Posted by pilot-425170 - Created: 3 years ago
0 0
Sorry no image available

7 replies (Showing replies: 1 to 7)

Sorry no image available
Posted by pilot-425170 - 3 years ago

I have already looked into this and made enquiries I have been told that that CEVNI is not required if the boat is moored on a lake, not saying your wrong but there are lots of boats moored around the lake ( when there's water) and I do know that many of them have much larger than 6 hp engines and the owners have no official inland waterways qualifications.  I will make further enquiries but my information is as stated. Thanks anyway

Sorry no image available
Posted by genista-469655 - 3 years ago

You need to know that your engine HP is restricted to 6hp unless you have a European Inland Waterways qualification - CEVNI. Check it out on the RYA web-site. 

Sorry no image available
Posted by treivilo-424011 - 3 years ago

There is definitely no trouble or problem whatsoever replying one's questions, this is an absolutely human thing and this is what makes a community !

Should you, one day, come on the rance or the canal d'Ille et rance with your boat, please keep me posted.

Olivier

Sorry no image available

Tompepper  very interesting and thanks very much for your input, I really hadn't thought of st Nicholas des eaux but I will certainly go and look into it.  Also thanks for the info on moorings at the lake I will go and have a chat at the Merlin.     To everyone who has taken the time and trouble to reply many thanks your help and advice is very much appreciated.

Sorry no image available
Posted by tompepper-420370 - 3 years ago

Hello Pilot,

You can actually get about 2cwt of concrete and a chain with a bouy on and create your own mooring for free, just need a small dinghy then to get to it. There are pontoon moorings at Anse De Sordan....apply at the Merlin Restaurant and over at Beau Rivage/ Caurel on the north side but not sure who controls those.

Problem...unless you really dont want to go very far at all, Guerledan is not good for boating particularly as you can only get out of it at one end, ie Bon Repos and then cant cruise too far along the river anyway as you will soon come to a bridge with 2 ft headroom, obviously the St. Aignan end in non nav due to the Dam.

Probably much better mooring south of Pontivy, ie somewhere near St. Nicholas Des Eaux...nice moorings there and I understand cheap and access to a far larger cruising area.

Sorry no image available

Oliver, many thanks for your reply, yes I agree moving water would cut down on the scrubbing but the problem is I live about 10 minutes from Lac de Guerledan and therefore it's easy and Quick for me, I don't really want to leave the boat too far away from home from a security point  of view, within 30 minutes of Pontivy would be as far as I would want to go.  I do appreciate your reply and as I say agree with your comments, if there was a nice river nearby I would certainly consider that, thanks again.

Sorry no image available
Posted by treivilo-424011 - 3 years ago

Hi there,

This page http://www.capbreizh.com/pratique/guerledan/guerledan.htm provides some information about the lake itself.

I'd personnaly rather moore on the vilaine river, because there is proper flow and this mai reduce the scrubbing required ; what do u think ?

Glad if I could help,

Olivier