DISCUSSIONS

Find the answers to many of your expat questions here

View Latest Posts

You're missing out...

As a member you can enjoy exclusive info and offers.

REGISTER NOW

puffins

Posted by phlophf-409902 - Created: 3 years ago
0 0
Sorry no image available

6 replies (Showing replies: 1 to 6)

Sorry no image available
Posted by Tryval - 3 years ago

We went on Sunday afternoon, from Perros Guirec, very good trip, 21€ on the one that includes a stop on Ile Aux Moines(where there were gulls nesting beside the path), it is the only Gannet colony in France, I have been to the Bass Rock (hence Sula Bassana) and St Kilda, the biggest Gannet  colony in the World, but this one is impressive, 30,000 pairs, we were told. 

We were lucky enough to also see Puffins other seabirds and a seal as a bonus.

Hope you have a good trip!

Sorry no image available
Posted by phlophf-409902 - 3 years ago

Thanks all - really hoping to see the puffins - will probably go next week if we get a nice day!!!

Sorry no image available
Posted by No longer Online - 3 years ago

I went last week. There are 20,000 couples of gannets there at the moment. Not many Guillemots, Razorbills and Puffins although we did see a few of each. Most of the gannets will have left by mid-July.

It is best to go in the morning as the seabirds tend to leave in the afternoon. In the morning they seem to sit around chatting!

There are no seabirds nesting on the island that you can land on. We just took the two hour trip which costs 18 euros each. (21 euros if you take the tour to land on the island)

Every sunday you can see the boat times for the following week (download a pdf file) and you can book by telephone.

There is plenty of space on the boat and you can be assured of a good view whereever you sit.

I hope you enjoy the trip as much as we did.

Sorry no image available
Posted by Karen-381938 - 3 years ago

It really is well worth the trip. We went in July a couple of years ago - too late to see the puffins but the island with the gannets is one of the most amazing things I have ever seen. We also saw a lot of seals and on the way back the boat took us nearer into the pink granite coast to get a different view of the granite formations. If you're very lucky you may even see a dolphin or two.

Sorry no image available
Posted by phlophf-409902 - 3 years ago

Thank you Chris - the second link is exactly what I was looking for.

Sorry no image available
Posted by christio-391743 - 3 years ago

Hello,

Here is some info :

http://www.tourismebretagne.com/decouvrir/iles-et-presqu-iles/les-sept-iles

http://www.armor-navigation.com/fr/7-iles.html

Hope this helps.

Chris