DISCUSSIONS

Find the answers to many of your expat questions here

View Latest Posts

You're missing out...

As a member you can enjoy exclusive info and offers.

REGISTER NOW

Sailboat moorings

Posted by withers - Created: 3 years ago
0 0
Sorry no image available

10 replies (Showing replies: 1 to 10)

Sorry no image available
Posted by withers - 3 years ago

Thank you all for your informative replies. i now have a lot to research

Sorry no image available
Posted by kerguen - 3 years ago

More ideas     -     Cotes d'armor 22 - the Trieux estuary.      Lazardrieux, Treguier and Pontrieux are all popular with boat people - a boat friend who moors at the latter says less people are using Pontrieux at the moment - it is a little inland and you have to wait for the tides to use the lock but it always seems busy in summer to me.      Along the coast - Binic has a marina but no doubt is dearer.   

Sorry no image available
Posted by Itwasntme-998041 - 3 years ago

Brittany. cost €191 a year for swing mooring 7 metre boat. 

Sorry no image available

Thank you for your reply. perhaps you could tell me where you moor, so, in view of the waiting time there, I can cross it off my list>

Sorry no image available
Posted by DN-434538 - 3 years ago

If you follow the link you will see there are various contracts available with the marinas of the Morbihan. There are 11 Marinas, or mooring services connected on this site. Several have spaces now.

They are not the cheapest, (which are normally Commune or Association moorings) but in general they have good facilities and the option to have a mixed contract, some nights on pontoons for instance mixed with time on a swinging mooring. Also the possibility of free nights at their sister companies which include MDL in the UK.

http://www.compagniedesportsdumorbihan.com/en/

Using the Passeport Escale system, so far, this year I have used other Marinas for 14 nights free. The going rate for  those 14 nights for my Rival 38 would have been about 420 euros as a visitor. I pay 1302 per year for my permanent mooring. Therefore although I pay more for the passeport up front because I use it quite heavily it is well worth while to me.

D.N.

Sorry no image available
Posted by Itwasntme-998041 - 3 years ago

Well withers, which came first the chicken or the egg, most places have waiting lists for moorings. I had my name down for 3/4 years before I was allocated one. So until you know where you will be living how can you apply for a mooring. Once you decide where you are going to live go see the local maire where you intend to apply for mooring they will be able to help. 

Sorry no image available

Really helpful, thanks DN, gives me plenty of research to start with

Sorry no image available

Hennebont on the Blavet, up river from Lorient laid new moorings last year. Very sheltered, about 45 minutes to the open sea at L"Armor Plage.

About 260 euro a year.

The Vilaine river. There are marinas and laid moorings.

Roche Bernard afloat on a buoy about 1059 per year but free use of many other marinas whilst cruising with Passeport Escales.

It is possible to anchor for free within the Vilaine, there are various other places on the river,

Rieux, town moorings 350 a year.

Loads of moorings in the Morbihan belonging to different communes.

As a personal note with a long keel boat I prefer cruising the West Coast to the North, the North coast is fantastic but the West coast is much easier and requires less detailed planning for tides so I can sail more often.

Fantastic boats, Folk Boats.

There are places like Merrien, Doelan, Port Manech, the Belon all of which would be suitable for a FB.

Lots of places have waiting lists though. Worth getting on several.

D.N.

Sorry no image available

Hi DN, thanks for your prompt reply. We have a wooden Folkboat with full keel, so we will need moorings to take 1.2 metres. we are looking for a permanant mooring and where we house buy will depend on moorings to a certain extent, but we would expect to travel to coast, as I know house prices shoot up accordingly. So if there are any boatyards/marinas which you think I should look at, your advice will be appreciated.

Sorry no image available

We keep two boats in Brittany on the West coast and sail extensively in the area. But to give any useful advice one would need to know some basics.

Where will you be living? and how far from your mooring are you prepared to be? Can your boat take the ground. Will it be kept all year on a mooring?

Costs and facilities vary hugely, but there are thousands of possibilities for small boats.

It is a wonderful area to sail.

D.N.