Find the answers to many of your expat questions here

View Latest Posts

You're missing out...

As a member you can enjoy exclusive info and offers.


Sea Fishing

Posted by bennythefence - Created: 4 years ago
0 0
Sorry no image available

10 replies (Showing replies: 1 to 10)

Sorry no image available
Posted by pushkinspal - 3 years ago

I've only been doing it 27 years here what would I know ??

Sorry no image available
Posted by LRV24 - 3 years ago

Jamie, inland waterways are different to the open sea and you are required to have a CEVNI certificate. Pushkinpal, you are wrong. The appropriate licence is necessary for a powerboat.

Sorry no image available
Posted by DN-434538 - 4 years ago


I would not disagree at all with that first line you refer to, which refers to visitors not requiring an ICC if driving a British Registered vessel.

The difference comes when the helmsperson or skipper could be considered resident. I do not know how an individual douanier or policier would interpret the difficult law on this subject.

I did think from the wording of the OPs post that they could be considered resident and therefore worded my post in the way I did.

Sorry no image available
Posted by ltinerant ChiId - 4 years ago

As authoritive and well researched DN's post appears to be, it is in direct contradiction to the first line from the following website:


Sorry no image available
Posted by pushkinspal - 4 years ago

I have a 7mtr fishing/diving boat and it is SSR registered , I have towed it all over europe and allways claimed the dispensation that as a Brit and an Island dweller I don't need any licence as we have the right to fish and sail . Its legal and works .

Sorry no image available
Posted by DN-434538 - 4 years ago

Unlike the UK there are statutory requirements for coastal 'boating'.

I would suggest to anybody who is to sail or motor boat in Breton waters to purchase the Bloc Marine 2015.

Included in  the statutory requirements for being between 2 and 6 miles from a port of refuge is to have a copy of Col Regs, tide tables, local charts list of ligts , log book on board. All of these are contained in the Bloc Marine so it covers your stautory requirements.

Required also are PFDs for all crew. as well as a statutory list of safety equipment dependent on how far from port of refuge you will cruise.

Also included in the Bloc Marine are the regulations and requirements for registering and licensing a boat to be used in coastal waters.

If French registered it will be issued with a registration document provided it meets the normes required. There will be an annual navigation fee/tax . On your length of boat only the horsepower tax is payable, for longer hulls over 7m there is a size tax as well as HP. The tax is based on fiscal HP not actual HP. The formula is complex.

Boats which are British Registered but kept in France by a French resident are still liable for the annual tax.

If you are SSR registered it will be obvious to the Douane patrols that you are not French registered as all power vessels are marked with their registration numbers prominently on their hull. You will also be obligated to fly the appropriate maritime ensign. There are many more patrol vessels on the Breton coast that there are in the UK. Customs, Gendarmerie, Police Nationale and the Navy all patrol the Breton coast and they do controles.

They seem to like checking  British power boats. As a point of reference the standard fine for each out of date flare on board is about 70euro.

It sounds more complex than it is, and most of the regulations are common sense but as I say the easiest way to find out all the intricacies is to read the Bloc Marine.

It has harbour plans for all the ports on the Atlantic coast including where you can launch so it is good value.

Power boat level 1 and 2 will get you an ICC which will be equivalent to a Permis Cotier if British registered.

The coast here is wonderful and the cruising magnificent. I hope you enjoy your time on the water.




Sorry no image available
Posted by Carpe Sauvage - 4 years ago

I have a hunch about some shark. Let me know if you need a shipmate anytime.

Sorry no image available
Posted by LRV24 - 4 years ago

My boat is SSR registered through the MCA which is easier than getting a French registration. I got my ICC from the RYA. Go to their web site to see if your current qualifications will allow you to get one without doing the 'test'. The RYA charge about £35 for the ICC but they are free to members.

Sorry no image available
Posted by bennythefence - 4 years ago

Thanks for the reply-70  hp outboard with 5 hp auxiliary.Registered with what authority? Insurance not a problem.I have a RYA ticket but that can be renewed / modified to suit French requirements.


Sorry no image available
Posted by LRV24 - 4 years ago

The boat will need to be registered and insured. What sized engine do you have? You will probably need some sort of licence, an ICC might well be the most straightforward. Use of slips depends on the location, they are likely to be free but in certain places there will be a small charge.