DISCUSSIONS

Find the answers to many of your expat questions here

View Latest Posts

You're missing out...

As a member you can enjoy exclusive info and offers.

REGISTER NOW

Using a telescope

Posted by kervinicbees - Created: 3 years ago
0 0
Sorry no image available

7 replies (Showing replies: 1 to 7)

Sorry no image available
Posted by treivilo-424011 - 3 years ago

Hi,

May already know it, but I suggest you not to point it to the sun nor look at the sun thru the telescope. Pointing it may bring the mirror to very high temperature (see a telescope as an amplifier for light and see heath as energy taken off from light. Telescope is a heat amplifier) which may break it. And, as your eyes are less strong than aglass miror, looking at this amplified light with your eyes will break them as well, which can be, at the end of the day, a problem !

Olivier

Sorry no image available
Posted by tinkatonk - 3 years ago

Hi

This site should help get you started....

http://astronomyboy.com/eq/

Sorry no image available
Posted by JLJ-429896 - 3 years ago

Probably stating the obvious, but on the 20th don't look through it at the eclipse.

Sorry no image available
Posted by kervinicbees - 3 years ago

Thanks David 22 - all useful info.

Sorry no image available
Posted by davidp22 - 3 years ago

I have a small astronomical telescope which I use from time to time. I found it a bit tricky to begin with and the advice already given by d.browning should help.  There is also lots of stuff on the internet that might be of help to you. I have a programme on my computer called 'Stellarium' which is a very good interactive guide to the night skies. It was a free download and will let you know exactly what is going on above your head at any given moment.

Sorry no image available
Posted by kervinicbees - 3 years ago

Many thanks for your reply.  Much appreciated.  May even get it sorted by  the 20th!

Sorry no image available
Posted by d.browning - 3 years ago

i'd recommend you buy "star ware" by philip s harrington: isbn 978-0-471-75063-5

you'll get all the info you need about all the different types of scope, and towards the back loads of info about how to best use them. couple that with a star atlas plus a decent piece of software and off you go. don't try to use it indoors, your images will be affected by heat, and take the scope outside an hour, or so, before to get the lens accustomed to the outside temperature.