Our comprehensive guides provide essential information and advice to help you throughout your life as an expat.

0 0

Taxable Income

If you are tax resident in France, you are liable to pay tax on your worldwide income (impôt sur le revenu).

Most income, including earnings, pensions, rental income and investment income, is taxed at progressive scale rates that range from 0 percent to a top rate of 45 percent. Social charges of up to 15.5 percent are added to these rates.   

Income Rates for 2016 tax returns based on 2015 Income

Income tax rates are usually only set at the end of the tax year to which they relate, or sometimes even after the tax year is over.

Net Income Subject to Tax 
Tax Rate 

Tax on Band 
Cumulative Tax 
Up to 9,700 9,700 Nil - -
9,700 to 26,791 €17,090 14% 2,392.60 2,392.60
26,791 to 71,826 45,034 30% 13,510.20 15,902.80
71,826 to 152,108 80,281 41% 32,915.21 48,818.01
Over 152,108 - 45% - -

There is an additional tax of 3 percent for a single person whose income is between €250,000 and €500,000 (nothing is due from a family). For income exceeding €500,000, the additional rate is 4% for an individual and 3 percent for a family. If income exceeds €1 million the rate is 4% regardless of family circumstances.

Taxing a Household in ‘Parts’

Taxable income is assessed according to the total income of your household. To ease tax rates where there is a high income but several family members, the household is divided into ‘parts familiales’ to represent each person.

The total household income is then divided by the number of parts. The relevant income tax scale rate is applied to this figure, then that tax value is multiplied by the number of parts.

So for a household with two parts and a total income of €50,000, the value of each part would be €25,000, attracting a maximum tax rate of 14 percent for 2015. The calculated tax amount would then be multiplied back up to two to find the total income tax due for the household. 

For tax purposes, the income of a married or PACS couple (the French version of civil partnership, open to both same and opposite sex couples) is divided into two parts. There is an additional half part for each of the first and second children, and a whole part for the third and each subsequent child. There is a maximum benefit that a household can receive from this system.

Employment Income

If you are employed in France and considered a resident, you will be paid gross and no tax will be deducted at source from your income. It is therefore your responsibility to ensure that you retain sufficient funds to pay your tax liability when this falls due.

Self-employment income

Self-employment income (with the exception of agricultural income) is taxed in France under one of two regimes: 

  • the BNC (Bénéfices Non Commerciaux) regime 
  • the BIC (Bénéfices Industriels et Commerciaux) regime

BNC (Bénéfices Non Commerciaux)

The BNC regime applies to all forms of non-trading income, such as teaching and consultancy services. Accounts are prepared on a ‘revenue’ or ‘cash’ basis, so both income received and expenses paid are taken into account.

If your gross annual income is below €32,900, it will usually be assessed under the Micro-BNC regime. This allows you to deduct a flat 34 percent for expenses so that only 66% of your gross income is taxable.

Otherwise you will be taxed under a regime whereby your actual income less necessary expenses is taxed. This can be much more complicated and costly than the Micro-BIC regime.

BIC (Bénéfices Industriels et Commerciaux)

The BIC regime applies to commercial and more traditional trading income as well as income from furnished lettings. Any income or expenditure relevant to the tax year is included.

Where gross annual income is below €32,900 the simplified Micro-BIC regime can apply, which will allow a flat 50 percent deduction. This means that only 50 percent of your income is taxable. This will usually apply to income from furnished lettings, with 50 percent deductible in lieu of actual expenses.

For the sale of goods, or the provision of gîtes or chambers d’hôtes style rental accommodation, a more generous Micro-BIC applies. In these cases, if gross income is less than €82,200, a flat 71 percent of income is deducted, leaving only 29 percent taxable.

If the annual turnover for sale of goods and letting businesses exceeds the above thresholds, you will be required to produce near-full accounts produced to French accounting standards. You will also be entitled to deduct most normal expenses relating to the business from your income.

Bank Interest, Dividends and Capital Gains on the Sale of Shares

These are added to your other income for the year and taxed at the progressive scale rates of income tax. Social charges are also levied at the investment income rate of 15.5 percent. 


Pensions are taxed in France at the progressive scale rates. The taxable base consists of income net of social security contributions (if any), less a 10 percent deduction of a minimum of €379 and a maximum of €3,711 per household per year (for 2015 income).

UK government service pensions remain taxable in the UK and are not taxed in France. However, the income needs to be declared and is taken into account for the purposes of determining the rate of tax payable on your other French source income.

Annuities and QROPS can receive more beneficial treatment but you need to seek personal advice. 

Lump sums received from pension funds are taxable in France. Provided the pension contributions were deductible from your or your employer’s taxable income, and if there is no possibility of taking another lump sum in future, you can opt for a fixed rate of 7.5 percent, plus social charges of 7.4 percent (if affiliated to the French social security system) with a deduction of 10 percent of the gross capital payment. If a lump sum has already been withdrawn or there is the potential for further withdrawals, a lump sum will be taxed as income. 

Rental Income

Rental income from a French property is always taxable in France, regardless of where the money is paid to the property owner or where they live.

For French residents, the income is added to other income and taxed at the progressive scale rates of income tax. Taxable rental income is calculated under two regimes: 

  • Revenus Fonciers for land and unfurnished lettings
  • Bénéfices Industriels et Commerciaux (BIC, as explained above) for furnished lettings

The Micro-Foncier regime can similarly apply to unfurnished lettings. Where total gross income from unfurnished lettings is below €15,000 per year, you can deduct a flat 30 percent as expenses. The remaining 70 percent of the gross rental income from the unfurnished lettings will be taxable in France.

If the annual turnover for land and unfurnished letting exceeds €15,000 per year, you will be required to produce near-full accounts produced to French accounting standards. You will also be entitled to deduct from your income most normal expenses relating to the business.

Tax rates, scope and reliefs may change. Any statements concerning taxation are based upon our understanding of current taxation laws and practices which are subject to change. Tax information has been summarised; an individual is advised to seek personalised advice.