DISCUSSIONS

Find the answers to many of your expat questions here

View Latest Posts

You're missing out...

As a member you can enjoy exclusive info and offers.

REGISTER NOW

d day events

Posted by chris psmith-781075 - Created: 14 years ago
0 0
Sorry no image available

10 replies (Showing replies: 1 to 10)

Sorry no image available
Posted by chris psmith-781075 - 14 years ago

Thanks everyone, I am all packed and ready to go, I hope your advice will help it go smoothly.

Many Thanks

Chris

Sorry no image available
Posted by grapevine-781073 - 14 years ago

ooops cant edit last reply but its http://www.normandiememoire.com 

sorry!

Sorry no image available
Posted by grapevine-781073 - 14 years ago

You will find the key events and ceremonies at my website (see below)  on the Events/Region page.   Also visit  http://normandiememoire.com  translated into several languages, these are the major organisers of events and info this year

sue

Sorry no image available
Posted by Stargazer-780995 - 14 years ago

Hello Chris,

This may be off use, www.ouest-france.fr

On Sunday & Monday I spent the 2 days touring with a guide, the whole area is getting heavier & heavier with security. The road blocks are going to be a big problem. Allow yourselves a lot more time than usual.

There are a lot of re-enactment camps that I think we be great for the children to see. At Hillman, Arromances, etc. Ground may be a big bumpy for wheelchair users but accessible. At Sainte-Mère-Eglise there is a temporary exhibition, 'The Greatest Generation', which is fantastic, a one off, closing 13th June. It's surperb for 'Band of Brothers' fans, has Dick Winters' uniform, etc. But don't even think of going on the 6th!

On the 5th at Ranville, Pegasus, is the parachute drop, en masse, PM, but there is a huge exclusion zone, due to the Prince of Wales attending. Although you will get excellent views on the higher ground aroud the area.

Nearly everywhere on the 5th, around 23:00 there will be firework displays, a bit scary maybe, but there you go. The children will enjoy it perhaps.

One thing, between 5th and 7th anyone without a pass will have trouble getting around. Friends in Bayeux didn't apply for passes (I don't know why!) they, apparently will not be allowed out of thier flat on 6th.

I don't mean to put you off, there will be plenty to see, just be preparred, and have plan 'B' on hold, and plan 'C', plan 'D', plan 'E'.....................

Whilst in Bayeux, if you have time, visit the Musée de la Bataille de Normandie, usually closed for lunch, situated on the ring road between the Tapisserie Bayeux and the British Cemetry. Roughly.

When you get here you'll be able to pick up all the latest info. Weather wise, it's going to be very hot, allegedly, so remember your protection and lots of water. We've just had the usual couple of days of cloud and rain leading up to the 6th. I think ever since 1944 it's be like this (not that I remember of course). Bring lots of film with you, obvious maybe but you don't want the hassle of running around looking for some.

I do hope you and your family have a very good visit, can hopefully return and see the sites again when it's all quitened down after these 60th anniversary commemorations. Special events are continuing through towards the end of the year.

Apologies if this sounds a tad rushed, in the middle of working out the next few days for ourselves and a visiting veteran friend. Getting quite excited and emotional.

Travel safely.

Regards.

Sorry no image available

Thanks Vonny, sounds like the 6th may be ok after all.

Regards

Chris

Sorry no image available
Posted by vonny-780909 - 14 years ago

Just to mention that even though the area of the beaches will be cut off to traffic, there will be lots of navette buses that will take you to the coast, no problems. I feel sure, though cannot confirm, that there will be wheelchair facilities included given the ages of the 800 veterans and their families that are invited (with my respect).

Sorry no image available

Thanks for the advice, it appears that the whole area will be excluded on Sunday, something KeyCamp didn't mention in the brochure! So far I am planning:

Friday Afternoon - Drive along beaches (Sword to Utah), any ideas on best places to stop off?

Saturday - Pegasus Bridge +Airborne Museum +Merville Battery, I beleive there is a cemetary there that may be a little less overwhelming than some of the bigger ones for the children we will have with us (7 and 8 year old)? 

Sunday - Anyone know of places of interest outside the exclusion zone, we are based in Houlgate?

Monday - Visit to Bayeux tapestry

I would like any advice if anyone can improve on my thought so far (I also have a 75 year old with me that will be using a wheelchair)

Regards and Thanks

Chris

Sorry no image available
Posted by froggy-780969 - 14 years ago

Hello Chris,

I've visited the D-day commemorations for a number of years (I have a family connection) and understand what you mean as a lot goes on. Some of the events are hard to attend due to security (heads of state visiting etc) or road closures due to the restrictions of lots of people and small towns.

normandy-dday.com and normandiememoire.com are worth looking at, the latter has the program of events. 

If you are in the Caen area Pegasus Bridge is an obvious visit, don't miss the Airborne Museum 50 yards up the road. But while you're there (personal bias coming into play) visit the Merville Battery which has an excellent museum in one of the gun casemates (search Google for "Merville Battery").

The reason I suggest these is that although each has specific events taking place they are open and will almost certainly have veterans around for the whole celebration period.

Circumstances mean that I can't visit this year and so I wish you a memorable visit

regards
Froggy

Sorry no image available

Sorry last link is:  here

Sorry no image available

Hi Chris,

Just in case you haven't seen this, click here. I would say that perhaps you should aim to 'do' one event of each type of category. That is, for example, a memorial service, see the beaches themselves, take a guided tour and see a show or music event each evening. You can also check out one of the official sites which is in English here. I think that once you are here and in the middle of things you will find events easily and also meet a lot of other English and American people who are doing the same as you.

Enjoy!