DISCUSSIONS

Find the answers to many of your expat questions here

View Latest Posts

You're missing out...

As a member you can enjoy exclusive info and offers.

REGISTER NOW

TV

Posted by jane-780853 - Created: 14 years ago
0 0
Sorry no image available

10 replies (Showing replies: 1 to 10)

Sorry no image available
Posted by Sam Radford-781314 - 14 years ago

I see people are confusing the various terms like "Freeview". You can see the definitions here:http://www.satcure.com/tech/freeview.htmA "Free To View" card is simply a Sky card (dark blue, yellow house outline" but with one big difference: the phone number on the back is 08700 500 744. This card gets you ITV, CH4 and FIVE (and all the Free To Air channels like BBC).If there's any other number on the card, it's not a FTV card but maybe Sky or Zee TV or something else and could be turned off at any time.A common scam on Ebay is for a person to cancel his Sky subscription then sell his Digibox and card. The card will continue to work as a FTV card for a while but IS NOT GUARANTEED. It could stop working at any time.

Sorry no image available
Posted by jane-780853 - 14 years ago

oh bigger.jane

Sorry no image available
Posted by Priory-780845 - 14 years ago

But Jane has the card...

Sorry no image available
Posted by gerbil-780940 - 14 years ago

A Digibox by itself won't allow access to ITV, CH4 or CH5 unless it has a valid card.The free-to-view cards are no longer issued (although they may become available again in the future) so you need to get a valid card - either a free-to-view card or a Sky dark blue card with a yellow "house" design which is no longer part of a Sky subscription. At some point in the next few years Sky will change their encryption, as they have done recently, and these cards will become useless and need to be replaced - which will need to be done from a UK address.

Sorry no image available

Digibox provides ITV1, CH4 and 5 plus others. Brico effort doesn't. And Digibox can be cheaper than that...

Sorry no image available
Posted by gerbil-780940 - 14 years ago

For BBC1-4 and most radio stations broadcast on Astra at 28E you don't need a Sky box; as already mentioned any digital receiver from your local DIY shop (80-100 euro) will do (as will a Sky box without a card). The only thing extra a Sky box will give you is the channel guide (you can get a full guide for £8.99/year at www.digiguide.co.uk)If you buy a TV in France the store has to complete a form with your name and address on it which is sent to the licensing authority.The french finance minister has recently announced the method of collecting the licence fee will change next year. It will probably be collected through the tax d'habitation system - to reduce admin costs (estimated at 100 million € saving) and to catch those not paying (increasing income by 170 million €). They've estimated there are about 2 million unlicensed televisions. Secondary residences are likely to be targeted as the authorities are aware the percentage not registered is high.

Sorry no image available
Posted by David_F-780855 - 14 years ago

Greg and co,

For the free-to air channels, such as the BBC, you don't need a Digibox. The bog standard Brico one should be fine as long as it's Digital.

Dave

Sorry no image available

well i'm hoping to try to hook it up to a friend's dish as i'd like to know if it works before giving feedback on eBay. I've heard about problems getting ch4 and ITV, but this is a solution i haven't seen before.I was a bit worried because on eBay i searched for a card alone and some of them had already reached over £80 before the end of auction, just for the card, so £66 sounded really cheap as it included the digibox as well.Thanks for the advice.jane

Sorry no image available

Jane,

should be Ok. When you first switch on, see if you get ITV1 and CH4. If so, fine. If not, try Sky News (501) for 5 hours continuously (you don't need TV on for that time) and the card should clear. Then you get all the channels. Are you going to try before going over?

Sorry no image available

Hi everyone,I have just successfully bid for a digibox and sky card on eBay. Part of the description says..."The viewing card that comes with this panasonic tu-dsb 30 is the version 2 that is dark blue and has the yellow house on and is fully activated."It cost £66 plus £10 P&P.Three questions. 1. Have I bought the right thing?(!!) I'm hoping for BBC, ITV, Ch4 and some radio stations in particular.2. Other than the scart cable and dish plus a cable to connect dish to box, do i need anything else? (except a  tv!)3. It seems quite cheap with the card included. Should i be suspicious?jane