DISCUSSIONS

Find the answers to many of your expat questions here

View Latest Posts

You're missing out...

As a member you can enjoy exclusive info and offers.

REGISTER NOW

English foods?!

Posted by Pippa-780839 - Created: 14 years ago
0 0
Sorry no image available

9 replies (Showing replies: 1 to 9)

Sorry no image available
Posted by Stargazer-780995 - 14 years ago

CJ

Having just found this site I'm a little bit excited!

Especially at the sight of the two words, 'vegetarian sausages'.

Being a vegetarian couple we do miss ready made sausages and we'll certainly be checking out the site you mention. Do you know of any others/shops. Only found an health food store in Coutances so far. Very happy with everything we get in the supermarkets anyway, but treats are nice now & then!

Thanks.

Sorry no image available
Posted by Richard.Creighton - 14 years ago

There is a chap called Steve, who runs a market stall selling english products, he can be found in Vire on friday mornings.

Richard.

Sorry no image available
Posted by cj-780870 - 14 years ago

I have used them once, they had a special offer on baked beans.  They didn't manage to get any of the stuff I ordered that wasnt on their list but the service was good. 

I am abit concerned about the cold stuff too but I have ordered some vegetarian sausages, although I havent received them yet.  When i do I will let you know how it goes. 

CJ

Sorry no image available
Posted by Pippa-780839 - 14 years ago

Oh my God, I am going to be ruined financially and the diet will be going out the window!!!! What a great site! CJ, do you use it and have you been happy? I am just a tad dubious about the cold items, but I probably wouldn't order much of that anyway.  Thanks!!!

Sorry no image available
Posted by cj-780870 - 14 years ago

I use www.epicerieanglaise.com  They deliver all over France and they even pick up things for you that is not on their list.

CJ

Sorry no image available
Posted by Pippa-780839 - 14 years ago

Thanks guys!!! I shall start looking properly in future! thanks for the offer Jeni but I am due a visit from a friend soon, so I'll have a long think and see what I can get her to bring.  Apart from TCP and a bottle of Dettol!!

Pip

Sorry no image available
Posted by Jeni-780887 - 14 years ago

I will probably be coming to France in the next 6 weeks so if you are desperate give me a list and I can get it for you!! Then you can pick it up from me! At no extra charge :o) If anyone is interested mail me

Kind regards

Jeni

Sorry no image available
Posted by kismet-780927 - 14 years ago

Cheddar can indeed be found rather easily (we have bought it a couple times at L'Eclerc), but not in the normal cheese aisle... you have to have it cut for you off the big hunk at the fromagerie.

Other than that, certain things can be found in the "foreign food" section of most supermarkets (L'Eclerc, Monoprix, Auchan, etc).  Each tends to have a slightly different selection, so I suggest just peeking around and seeing which one pleases you.

And as mentioned, ordering is always an option, although it tends to be fairly costly, in my opinion.  I tend to stock up on certain things (ranch dressing, brown sugar, etc) when I visit "back home," or ask politely that my family send some over when I run out.  No extra charges that way ;)

Sorry no image available
Posted by courtiot-780872 - 14 years ago

Hello

Carrefour or L.Leclerc usually sell Cheddar but I buy it online with other things I want from the UK from:

http://www.expatessentials.co.uk  or  http://www.lifeslittleluxuries.co.uk/

Both of these on-line shops deliver to you and it costs £12 for 30kg of shopping.

A good exercise for the heart is to bend down and help another up.
All people smile in the same language.