DISCUSSIONS

Find the answers to many of your expat questions here

View Latest Posts

You're missing out...

As a member you can enjoy exclusive info and offers.

REGISTER NOW

English Telephones in France

Posted by Peter-781145 - Created: 14 years ago
0 0
Sorry no image available

10 replies (Showing replies: 1 to 10)

Sorry no image available
Posted by Peter-781145 - 11 years ago

I posted this message in 2004 and have just been notified of 9 responses! Shortly after my message I bought an adapter from Maplins via mail order, and it worked well, including the reception of broadband via Wannadoo, until I replaced my phones with a locally bought set. Hope this helps other newcomersPeter [50 Percy]

Sorry no image available
Posted by Anibas - 11 years ago

I don't why it didn't work for them. We have three-set (idect) brought from comet recently, our original four-set (siemens) and a fairly old english fax/phone answering machine and they all ring?!

Anibas

p.s. its sounds like we've got a zillion phones I know, but its because our house and workshop/office are 30 metres apart and it's to cover all the options (phone via internet / incoming calls / and transfering calls between them all)!! :-)

Sorry no image available
Posted by merlin-786493 - 11 years ago

Oh, just had an email from someone who said the phone doesnt ring with different cable, and its best to send away to a company for the adapters...................................shall still look in Carrefour.

Sorry no image available

Sorry Gom2,

'Hubby' was just trying to be helpful as I was writing the thread by looking them up in the screwfix catalogue!! He must have misread it. We're certainly not experts! We just worked it out by chance!

Right - RJ11's then!

Thanks

Sabina

Sorry no image available
Posted by Kevin Raymond - 11 years ago

Worth pointing out that while that works fine for phones, in my experience it doesn't work for fax machines...Kevin (Coutances 50)

Sorry no image available

Thanks Anibas will look in Carrefour.

Sorry no image available
Posted by gom2 - 11 years ago

Hi SabinaI didn't know that, that's useful.ps phone jacks are RJ11, RJ45 is for data.

Sorry no image available

No problem at all. You don't need to buy the adapters from eBay. It seems that all you need to do is buy a new cable over here from a supermarket or brico with a French (big) phone thing on the end.

We found that all our English phones including new ones purchased recently (from Comet in UK) had the same small square shape connectors (called RJ45) in the back of the phone as French phones so all you have to do is replace the cable and all work fine.

Sorry no image available
Posted by mellow-789327 - 11 years ago

I have heard you can buy adapters to make BT phones etc work. I dont know where you would get one but somebody may know.

Sorry no image available

Has anyone got any updated info re English phones working in France please?