DISCUSSIONS

Find the answers to many of your expat questions here

View Latest Posts

You're missing out...

As a member you can enjoy exclusive info and offers.

REGISTER NOW

Legally speaking

Posted by timide - Created: 15 years ago
0 0
Sorry no image available

5 replies (Showing replies: 1 to 5)

Sorry no image available
Posted by Harry Dresden - 5 years ago

The legal requirements are that you must provide your own healthcare and be able to support yourself. Some Mairies may ask for you to justify income up to the level of the RSA - about 800€ a month. Otherwise you have to get a job doing at least 22 hours a week on the SMIC (now going up to 9.53€ an hour in January) or run a business and pay into the French social security system.

Also as a French resident you have to put in a declaration of revenues every year in May declaring all your worldwide household income, register with the Mairie of your commune, re-register your car(s) into the French system and ditto any dogs or cats you may bring over.

Sorry no image available
Posted by Gladys-786302 - 5 years ago

Carte de sejour has not been necessary for some years for a citizen of a member state.

Sorry no image available
Posted by Shel-780867 - 15 years ago

Hello,

I have been living in France for nearly 2 years now. And the first 3 months were the most difficult to adjust. Procedure wise it was rather easy. Went to the préfecture with all the required documents (birth certificates, proof of residence (can be a hotel address like I used, etc...) and got my carte de séjour for a period of 10 years after 1 month.

The most difficult part was not being able to speak the language. Not knowing anyone etc. I'd advice you not to think of france as this rather untouchable, cultural, romantic, nostalgic country where life is quiet, where the villages are adorable where the people are easy-going and where crime hasn't arrived yet...You will be shocked if you do...

Life is the same here as anywhere. Yes, people are generally speaking more friendly. But try building up a personal relationship with the locals and notice the brick walls. It of course also depends on the village you move into. But life can be tough and dissapointing anywhere. Reality is everywhere. But if you want to go for a beatiful landscape, more quiet, more relaxed, completely different from the UK, where people do tend to stand up for truth and where certain cultural aspects have been kept, then I don't think you will be dissapointed. Integration will follow after a period of time. When people don't regard you as some sort of tourist anymore (and when you make an effort to speak french!)

All the other paperwork arrives after. It all falls into place easily...if you have patience...loaaaaaaaaads of patience.

Life is nicer here in France, but don't expectto be integrated or feel at home within 3 months or so...it all takes time...

Good luck!

Shel

Sorry no image available
Posted by timide - 15 years ago

Hi, thanks for a very quick response! We are English and are thinking of moving over first on a six month basis to see if we adapt to the French way of life and can make ourselves part of the community (for us no point in coming over just for the frills, we'd really want to integrate). I'll look at your link, much appreciated.

B

Sorry no image available
Posted by mike-780836 - 15 years ago

What is your nationality?

If you're an EU national then becoming resident in France is very straightforward (although actually living in France is as complex as living in any country that has different legal and social underpinnings to the one with which you are familiar). In fact, legislation passed at the end of 2003 has made it easier than ever.

However, that same legislation has made it rather harder to become a legal resident if you are not (or are not married to) an EU national.

Details here:

http://normandy.angloinfo.com/information/3/cds.asp **************
Mike