DISCUSSIONS

Find the answers to many of your expat questions here

View Latest Posts

You're missing out...

As a member you can enjoy exclusive info and offers.

REGISTER NOW

SOS Can't write a cheque!

Posted by Debbie-781106 - Created: 14 years ago
0 0
Sorry no image available

10 replies (Showing replies: 1 to 10)

Sorry no image available
Posted by Stephanie-781810 - 14 years ago

Be very careful how you write the numbers (in letters, if you see waht I mean) as, if there is a discrepancy, the amount in letters will be the one they take off your account!!!

Sorry no image available
Posted by keir-781495 - 14 years ago

Many thanks for the info - I too needed it (today) for writing my first French cheque!  Here's a web site that translates figures into French words - very useful and it also translates the date:
http://www.london-electronics.com/frenchmoney.htm

Keir

Sorry no image available
Posted by hughesc - 14 years ago

if you are struggling writing the amount in french, this site is good

http://www.frenchtutorial.com/standard/counting/20-69.php

Sorry no image available
Posted by Le Gallois-781070 - 14 years ago

Hi Mike,

You're right, But a prélèvement requires a specific form to be filled in and not by accidently signing the slip as described by Avonlady.

Can I also highly recommend the Credit Agricole/mozaic site for "Les Jeunes". It is aimed at young "pre-bankers", but explains the banking system in detail in simple terms. (It's in French, but not very difficult)

http://www.ca-mozaic.com/p_assembleur.jsp?nav=banq&ssnav=info&navctxt=20&sup=pel

Sorry no image available
Posted by mike-780836 - 14 years ago

quote:there is no direct debit as such in France

Yes, there is - it's called prélèvement bancaire automatique, and doesn't necessarily need a signature for each sum withdrawn. The TIP is one thing, the autorisation de prélèvement is another. The former simply makes a single chequeless payment; the latter authorises a regular direct debit.

Mike

Sorry no image available
Posted by Le Gallois-781070 - 14 years ago

Not quite true Avonlady, there is no direct debit as such in France. What you are refering to is a TIP (Titre Interbancaire de Paiement). Once you have given the company your bank details, you can save the trouble of writing a cheque by signing and returning th TIP slip. You have to do this each month or each bill, the company has no authority to take money from your account beyond the amount you signed for on each bill.

Sorry no image available
Posted by Debbie-781106 - 14 years ago

To everyone who sent replies A MASSIVE THANKYOU.

YOU ARE ALL VERY KIND AND HAVE BEEN A GREAT HELP!

Regards

Debbie

Debbie

Sorry no image available
Posted by avonlady-781067 - 14 years ago

You write the amount in letters (in French) after contre ce cheque, LE is for the date you signed the cheque, A is the place where you were when you wigned it (ie London, England).  the little 'a' is the person you are making the cheque out to.  Important bit of information - if you wish to carry on paying by cheque and not by direct debit DO NOT SIGN the payment slip as you would here - this gives the authority to take money from your account, as we found to our cost!avonlady

Sorry no image available
Posted by Denise-780974 - 14 years ago

My biggest problem in writing a cheque is writing the amount in French as I don't speak the language - so I write it in English and as yet haven't had a cheque returned.  Good LuckDenise H

Sorry no image available
Posted by mike-780836 - 14 years ago

1. (payez contre ce chèque) The amount (Cent-dix euros et 12/100)

2. (à) The payee (Compagnie Générale des Eaux)

3. (fait à) Wherever you are (Caen, -or- Balham)

4. (le) The date (6/6/04)

Don't forget to sign....

Mike