DISCUSSIONS

Find the answers to many of your expat questions here

View Latest Posts

You're missing out...

As a member you can enjoy exclusive info and offers.

REGISTER NOW

which ferry

Posted by mick cox-780953 - Created: 15 years ago
0 0
Sorry no image available

9 replies (Showing replies: 1 to 9)

Sorry no image available
Posted by jane-780853 - 15 years ago

ah, sadly we are not in a position to move out permanently as our 2 girls are just about to enter examination preparation and we're tied into the exam system for 5 years (they're in consecutive school years). but as we're all at the same school, we can take advantage of our (long) hols, so we're looking forward to 7 weeks, or so, over the summer. plus we get a 2 week half term in october which is a real bonus before winter sets in.good luck with your preparations, especially caravan hunting - you're renovating, i guess? are the children excited? jane

Sorry no image available
Posted by antheakn-780955 - 15 years ago

Yes it does seem like the newhaven - dieppe is looking favourable for the kids hols.  I think that this will be the route we will take although my advice is ring all three never take what it says on the web as gospel as they have offers on that are not necessarily on the web yet.  We have nearly been caught out with this in the passed.

Yes it was me that emailed you, never mind these things happen with emails, especially with all the junk we get these days.

When are you moving over Jane, we only have a few weeks to go and counting.

Anthea

Sorry no image available
Posted by jane-780853 - 15 years ago

bill,it took us 4 visits over the course of 18 months. we got quite frustrated, but it was worth the wait and we KNEW when the right house came up. although it wasn't what we thought we'd buy when we started out, i'm glad now that it took a long time because we needed the time to sort out what our priorities were in a property, because we couldn't afford everything we wanted. so i don't think you are being fussy - property may be cheap but it's still a lot of cash! on our final successful trip, we made a point of beating the school hols in early july. i don't know if it made a difference but the estate agents seemed quieter to us than during holiday periods.we bought through villedieu immobilier, but i think that may be a little way north from where you want to be. anyway, good luck!anthea - i think we're going to try the newhaven-dieppe ferry this half term. brittany ferries is WAY o.t.t (over £400 with owner's club discount). by the way - did you email me a while back? If so, I'm sorry for not replying. My account was set to "exclusive" and your message (if it was you!) got trashed coz i forgot to move it to my inbox. sorry.jane

Sorry no image available
Posted by Priory-780845 - 15 years ago

Yeah,

but Kirsty's better looking!

Sorry no image available
Posted by mick cox-780953 - 15 years ago

hi Bill the property we bought could have been made for u .It is fantastic we found it on our second visit very lucky... we set up several viewings but found this just by chance, they are there and what a super area. We found a super guy called JEAN has his own company just outside st hillire called nord quest immobilier, email levesque.jean@wanadoo.fr he was great , perfect english to ,if i can be any more help email trickeymickey54@aol.com mac

Sorry no image available
Posted by bob-780838 - 15 years ago

Bill,

have you tried the agents listed in The AngloFILE here?

Regards,

Bob

Sorry no image available
Posted by billstone - 15 years ago

hi mick we are also looking for a house in that area but we are not having much luck whenever we find somewhere it has normally been sold do you have any sugestions? where did you look ? can you give me some idea what you have bought we are looking for a property that needs a small amount of work but with land and outbuildings hope you can help we visited at easter viewed lots of houses but nothing took our fancy are we being too fussy !!bill

Sorry no image available
Posted by antheakn-780955 - 15 years ago

We too also have a house not too far from you, we travel approx three times a month and use brittany ferries as we are a member of the property owners travel club, prices can vary depending on time and day but you can get a quote on their website www.brittanyferries.com , we have just found that the crossing from newhaven to dieppe is loads cheaper and faster 2hr crossing but an extra 1.30 hours in the car on other side, we are trying that next.  We have to travel from manchester to the south so it doesn't really matter where the crossing is.

Hope this helps

Sorry no image available
Posted by simon-780954 - 15 years ago

Hi Mick...I have a place about 10 miles from you. We usually go on the P+O fast ferry from Portsmouth to Caen. It takes 3 hrs 25 mins and cost around £250 for the car + up to 4 passengers. You can quickly get on the A84 and drive down in about 1hr 15 mins. Very straightforward and fast. Enjoy your new home. SimonSimon T