DISCUSSIONS

Find the answers to many of your expat questions here

View Latest Posts

You're missing out...

As a member you can enjoy exclusive info and offers.

REGISTER NOW

If we want to buy a house . . . . . . .

Posted by Sue2-780848 - Created: 14 years ago
0 0
Sorry no image available

9 replies (Showing replies: 1 to 9)

Sorry no image available
Posted by raymond-780984 - 14 years ago

My advice use your own notaire it will cost u no extra money they split the fee he then can relate to the good and bad of the deal if u need a good notaire who speaks english let me know i will give u his name he is based in bayuex hope this helps raymond

Sorry no image available
Posted by Richard.Creighton - 14 years ago

I am sure there are a number of people who have experiences that did not work in their favour, these are very few and far between, if you make an offer on a property, you may well think the deal is done with a verbal agreement as in the UK, but the only time you can be 100% certain you have bought the property is when the compromis is signed by both sides and your deposit lodged with your agent, in the case of the majority (i am not saying all) of people having difficulties with their agent it is usually because all of the information provided to the agent is either incorrect or in complete, all too often we are pipped to the post by a rival agent who has been able to sign imdiately because property in france is almost always multi agent, and as a result if a client is presented to us in a position to sign straight away we have to seize the opportunity. whilst we are in an escalating market there will always be winners and losers, property is in very high demand at the moment, price perameters are being pushed further and further, so prepare yourself prior to viewing make sure you have passports, birth certificates and marriage certificate with you, these are all we need to prepare the compromis and once signed its deal done. Richard.

Sorry no image available
Posted by jane-780853 - 14 years ago

we lost a house through a sort of gazumping. The house was on with more than one agent. our first offer, in writing, was kind of accepted but the owner wanted an extra £500 for some unfitted windows. we put in another offer in writing. unfortunately by the time this new offer had reached her, someone else had put in an offer £1000 higher and she signed.I believe it was having the two signatures (the other purchaser and the seller's) that put a legal stop to further offers, and gazumping is not possible after this.we were annoyed because we were in negotiation with her through the agent but she went ahead with the higher offer without offering us the chance to take her up on her request for the extra money. What she did was quite legal, i believe, but just not a nice way of doing business.This all took place within a period of about 24hours.The moral is - get a full set of signatures and ,if you really want to get the deal, hassle your agent to make sure YOU get it. And keep your phone switched on and in range!jane

Sorry no image available
Posted by cj-780870 - 14 years ago

I think that would depend on the owner of the house, someone put in a higher offer than we did on our house but ours was still accepted.  Apparently they were vetting the people that bought the house because the house meant so much to them.  Obviously they thought we were more suitable.

Sorry no image available
Posted by hughesc - 14 years ago

I heard that if you offer less than the full asking price, someone can gazump you (by offering the full asking price) at any time before the sale is complete.

If you offer the full asking price you cant be gazumped

Maybe somebody can confirm this.

Sorry no image available
Posted by hughesc - 14 years ago

I heard that if you offer less than the full asking price, someone can gazump you (by offering the full asking price) at any time before the sale is complete.

If you offer the full asking price you cant be gazumped

Maybe somebody can confirm this.

Sorry no image available
Posted by Causette-780879 - 14 years ago

Hi Sue,

The other advice I would add to that given by Richard and CJ is to say straight away whether or not you like a house.  If you don't, they (the owners and the agents) prefer that you say so!  Unfortunately, there are many English would be buyers who come over, go out viewing lots of houses, walk around saying they love it, it's perfect etc etc, then disappear back to UK, never to be heard from again.  I think it's probably due in part to wanting to be polite - but French buyers have no hesitation in saying that a property isn't suitable! 

Best of luck with your house hunting,

JudyM (14)

JudyM (14)

Sorry no image available
Posted by cj-780870 - 14 years ago

Dear Sue

When we bought our house, we put in an offer on the first house we saw because we liked it so much.  The agent told us we could offer less than the asking price and he knew they would go for it.  After seeing the house and asking all the questions we said we would like to put in an offer.  We then went back to the estate agents office where we filled in form with the price we were offering. 

The estate agent said he would then contact the owners and get back to us ASAP.  We then drove off to view the other houses we had made appointments for.  Luckily we didnt like any.  In the afternoon the agent came back to us and said the offer had been accepted.

Abit hazy after that but basically we rushed off trying to get a loan,(we used www.mortgagefrance.com  then had an appointment to sign the Compromis de Vente.  There is a 7 day cooling off period where nothing can happen so if you realise you have made a mistake you can change your mind. 

We then kept in contact via the agents and the notaires.  They basically just contacted us when anything needed to be done.  It takes about 3 months possibly more.

Feel free to contact me if you need any other info.  I am on the border of 61/14.

CJ

Sorry no image available
Posted by Richard.Creighton - 14 years ago

Hi Sue, When you have seen a property you like you must first establish wether or not the price includes the agents fee and the Notaires fee, this is commonly termed "Acte en main" if this is the case you can make an offer safe in the knowledge that all fees are taken into account, in general the french are no different to uk citizens, we all like to think we have bought at a rock bottom price and sold for the highest price possible, so with this in mind be prepared to have a haggle, when the initial offer is made if it is rejected the vendor will usually give an indication as to what they are prepared to accept, it is then down to you if you are prepared to pay the price or not.

As for mortgages, the french will lend up to 80% of the purchase price of the house without the fees, for advice look at www.britline.com french banking in english.

Richard.