DISCUSSIONS

Find the answers to many of your expat questions here

View Latest Posts

You're missing out...

As a member you can enjoy exclusive info and offers.

REGISTER NOW

Mosquitoes

Posted by Jeni-780887 - Created: 15 years ago
0 0
Sorry no image available

10 replies (Showing replies: 1 to 10)

Sorry no image available
Posted by vonny-780909 - 15 years ago

Exactly that!

Sorry no image available
Posted by Julia-780937 - 15 years ago

Mosquitos don't like geraniums, so if you cover your window sills and balconies with beautiful geraniums (which could also explain why there are so many, especially in the South) it will go some way in preventing the pests from entering via windows. They also make geranium candles for burning (as well as the citronelle) and they seem to be very effective. You can also get geranium essential oil, dab that on wrists and ankles at night, works a treat for me and I have the classic sweet blood that they love to bite so much. the citronell is also available in oil form but it does smell pretty potent sometimes!

Sorry no image available
Posted by Denise-780974 - 15 years ago

Not heard of the geraniums, what are they supposed to do!Denise H

Sorry no image available
Posted by vonny-780909 - 15 years ago

They sell them all over France, don't panic, in most supermarkets and diy stores etc. The fluid ones and the high frequency sound ones that you are not supposed to hear but do! They also have things to burn inside and out (spirals and candles) and you can even buy zapping lamps that you hang up outside - you know the blue light that sudddenly goes zish and smells of burning!! Let's face it, any country that has had to share their space with mossies for so many years (do they not exist at all in GB anymore?) will have invented some pretty effective solutions.....and don't forget the geraniums!!!

Sorry no image available
Posted by Denise-780974 - 15 years ago

Can you not buy the mosquitoe 'plug-ins' like you do in Greece, these are marvellous and I didn't get bitten at all, but I haven't seen them on sale in France - perhaps a journey back to England might be the answer.Denise H

Sorry no image available
Posted by Le Gallois-781070 - 15 years ago

No Bob, If you eat Marmite it prevents the bite in the first place. Jenni, if you want to experiment with rubbing it on I'll see you in Carrouges ;)

Sorry no image available
Posted by bob-780838 - 15 years ago

I have just absent-mindedly scratched the top off the first bite of the season,

did someone say rub Marmite in it?

(ow!)

Regards,

Bob

Sorry no image available
Posted by Jeni-780887 - 15 years ago

Fantastic I will have super smooth skin and smell of marmite!!!!! I suppose if you don't like to eat marmite you could spread that on aswell :o) Does somebody want to try it and let me know?!!!! ;o)

Thanks

Jeni

Sorry no image available
Posted by Le Gallois-781070 - 15 years ago

I promise you, this post is not a joke, but if you eat "Marmite" regularly they don't bother you. If you don't believe me, do a web search for "Mosquitoes Marmite"

Sorry no image available
Posted by avonlady-781067 - 15 years ago

Despite my 'handle' I don't work for Avon but their Skin-so-Soft bath oil, when mixed with equal amount of water, and spread on, makes a wonderful insect repellant - all the Americans use it and so do I!  Also works well for 'lodgers' on your pets!avonlady