DISCUSSIONS

Find the answers to many of your expat questions here

View Latest Posts

You're missing out...

As a member you can enjoy exclusive info and offers.

REGISTER NOW

Permis de construire

Posted by Jeni-780887 - Created: 14 years ago
0 0
Sorry no image available

4 replies (Showing replies: 1 to 4)

Sorry no image available
Posted by vonny-780909 - 14 years ago

Hi

If the outside appearance of a house is changed in any way you need a permis de construire, so extensions and the like come under this. You will need at least a DAT for the loft conversion even if the space is already there (you are changing it's usage) and from what I read it's 20 metres sq per job, but I would prefer if you checked at the mairie or ask a builder. Things are also quite 'flexible' in different areas of France....so it could be worth asking. Try the English speaking builders section on this site.

Sorry no image available
Posted by jane-780853 - 14 years ago

we have part of a loft to convert into two rooms and it may just be 20m2 or under. there's already one bedroom in the other part of the loft, but we're going to widen it by pulling down the t&g partitions to bring the outside stone walls into the room (just wasted space at the moment). if the unconverted part is under 20m2 do you think we might get away with a DAT, or will the other part of the loft be included, even though there is already a room in that area?also, do you know, would a DAT apply to a new construction, an extension, conservatory or whatever? if so, is the total floor space counted (ie on two levels) or just the "footprint"?jane

Sorry no image available

Apparently if you are going to create a living space of less than 20m sq, you just need a DAT (Demande d'Autorisation de Travaux). More than that it will need a permis de construire. The form you need to fill in at the Tax Office is the H2 and you have 90 days to do this after completion of work.

Pop to your local Mairie for the necessary forms or perhaps the estate agent will oblige.

Sorry no image available

If you are converting any space into habitable space you need to inform someone legally since this completely changes the taxe d'habitation/taxe foncières charges that you will pay each year. You are charged the tax based on the sqm liveable surface. An attic is not considered habitable when just an attic, but when it becomes a bedroom it is, obviously. The local Mairie should be notified as a precaution and your local tax office. I personally have friends who didn't do this and they received a hefty fine. I feel sure that there are estate agents who would start off any procedures for actual planning permission for you, at a cost. I will try and find out more precise information for you.