DISCUSSIONS

Find the answers to many of your expat questions here

View Latest Posts

You're missing out...

As a member you can enjoy exclusive info and offers.

REGISTER NOW

Teenage schooling, help heeded!

Posted by timw-781212 - Created: 14 years ago
0 0
Sorry no image available

4 replies (Showing replies: 1 to 4)

Sorry no image available
Posted by timw-781212 - 14 years ago

Many thanks

Tim

Sorry no image available
Posted by vonny-780909 - 14 years ago

I'll find out what system my friend uses for her 14yr old son. I know that it is from England, cost about £1000 and he basically gets all the books and study sheets, works from home but sends off via internet and receives back via internet, a real long distance course. I believe he will have to return to GB at some point to do the actual GCSE exams, but I think there are also points in France where this is carried out.  It does mean a bit of willpower to do the work, but with parents behind him I'm sure it's very efficient - probably more so that the school where there are so many things to be side tracked by!

Sorry no image available
Posted by timw-781212 - 14 years ago

Vonny

<?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" />

Many thanks for the advice. I hadn’t thought of  web based schooling at all, while it would not be my first choice it could make a useful fallback position if things didn’t work out at a French school.  Do you know any sites that would be worth looking at?

Tim

Sorry no image available
Posted by vonny-780909 - 14 years ago

You will hear all sorts of stories and have all sorts of advice but I truly believe that it is the attitude of your child that will guide you.  I have friends who have confident teenagers who are doing well despite the hard work and often bewildering stages and I also have friends whose children have refused point blank to go to a French school and who are being schooled at home via the internet to the British system thereby not interrupting their education.  It is a very tricky situation and I completely understand that you don't want to 'ruin' your child's education or his confidence. Teenagers are already coping with such a lot of changes and moving to a different country and to a different education system can seem a very tough thing to go through. Some will accept the change, others won't, but whatever the situation, whether you decide to keep him in the English system via the net or an international school, I would definitely advise that he meets other French (and English why not)kids of his age as soon as possible.

Unsympathetic teachers - please remember that they are not armed with 'how to teach foreigners' certificates as many teachers in GB are. It is not, yet, a standard situation and even though some areas are really making an effort to help English speaking children, they are still very much a minority and teachers are simply not equipped to deal with it. I have personal experience working in French schools so I do understand the other side of the story a little.  However, the French children/teenagers more than make up for the lack of understanding on the part of the teachers and from that angle I don't think there are very many negative aspects. French children love English kids and their families do too - it's another way of their own children getting to speak better English!

The French schooling system is tough at the best of times, the standards are very high so it is normal for a non French-speaking child to be overwhelmed at first. But the benefits of eventually speaking French are also pretty wonderful!

Don't know if any of this helps, but it's another opinion at least.