DISCUSSIONS

Find the answers to many of your expat questions here

View Latest Posts

You're missing out...

As a member you can enjoy exclusive info and offers.

REGISTER NOW

Car Insurance

Posted by dingers-503329 - 3 months ago
0 0

I am presently going through a car insurance claim and I am required to pay for the repairs before claiming the money back from AXA.

Is this the norm?

Sorry no image available

10 replies (Showing replies: 1 to 10)

Sorry no image available

Looks like the right thing to do "joinfrance" does Macif have any English speaking agents do you know? 

Sorry no image available

No problem countrydweller, thanks for your import.

I am surprised more feed back hasn't been forthcoming particularly from  the insurance brokers and the like..

The other insurance requirement is for cover in excess of the normal 3 months as we generally travel south to Spain during the winter period.

Sorry no image available
Posted by countrydweller - 3 months ago

I am with Generali Not the cheapest but  theydo not seem to muck about with claims etc and the broker is already to negotiate downwards on the premium

Dingers I did not mean to insult your intelligence but I am sure you like me are aware of expats getting into a muddle as they have not fully understood

Sorry no image available
Posted by joinfrance - 3 months ago

In the past 8 years with Macif I have had two incidences, one a breakdown, one an accident. In both cases I had nothing to pay until it was all finished. Seeing the post on here I think I will stay with them. I had dealings with AXA in the UK. Their intransigence and unwillingness to pay out - it took 5 months to get reimbursed - cost me my livelihood.

Sorry no image available

Covered 100%. Like many others in France insurance is my heaviest outlay so its quite important to ensure it works. My Broker is English so no lack of comprehension. 

The philosopher of  "pay before you get the money reimbursed" only in my opinion only should be made known.

Sorry no image available
Posted by countrydweller - 3 months ago

Are you sure that you are actually covered for what you think you are?I have known expats in the past who thought they were covered for all sorts of things but weren't

Sorry no image available

As before I would be pleased to hear of any insurances that doesn't require client to settle costs beforehand. I guess most people will have to contact their insurance company befor  actually knowing. 

I must admit it's been a shock and one I could have advoided if I had known.

Sorry no image available
Posted by mintyonemick - 3 months ago

Jb most of the roadside phone are now not used all the one near us are covered up and have been for the last 2 years they now watch with the camaras

Sorry no image available

We were in Spain, hence Guardia Civil who arrived almost instantly at what turned out to be quite a major incident.

Sorry no image available
Posted by Chèvrefeuille - 3 months ago

Just as an aside, it you break down on an autoroute you must use the roadside phones not contact your own breakdown cover directly using your mobile.