DISCUSSIONS

Find the answers to many of your expat questions here

View Latest Posts

You're missing out...

As a member you can enjoy exclusive info and offers.

REGISTER NOW

Your right to vote in the UK

Posted by No longer Online - 3 months ago
0 0

For those away from UK for more than 15 years and have been treated so undemocraticaly by being not allowed to vote (especially this blasted past referendum) please visit this link https://goo.gl/t5uyWF
To try to influence the UK Government to return our right to vote at Fridays private members bill in Parliament where this topic will be discussed. It might be interesting for you to join ECREU if you have not already done so.

10 replies (Showing replies: 1 to 10)

Sorry no image available
Posted by Oldbury - 3 months ago

Of course we are ex-pats and immigrants, just as the Bangladeshi population are also ex-pats and immigrants; the notion that British people see themselves only in one bracket and not the other is nefarious.

Sorry no image available
Posted by labrousse-500162 - 3 months ago

If you live in france permanently under free-movement rules you are not an immigrant?  Have a quick look in the Oxford  English Dictionary. The rules that allow to live in another country(asylum, work-visa free-movement etc) don't dictate whether you are an immigrant or not. 

Sorry no image available
Posted by joinfrance - 3 months ago

Only in municipal elections!

Sorry no image available
Posted by mintyonemick - 3 months ago

joinfrance you can vote here

Sorry no image available
Posted by chèvrefeuille - 3 months ago

You are not an immigrant Joy, you are an EU citizen taking advantage of your right to free movement. Your status will change in 2018. 

Sorry no image available
Posted by joinfrance - 3 months ago

I'm an immigrant. I object to having taxation without representation. I should be allowed to vote either here or in the UK.

Sorry no image available
Posted by labrousse-500162 - 3 months ago

Ah yes, good old Brits, never immigrants always ex-pats.

Sorry no image available
Posted by mintyonemick - 3 months ago

I am with you oldbury why would you vote out if you live here and risk losing all your rights must be brain dead or another very rich conservative

Sorry no image available
Posted by Oldbury - 3 months ago

any ex-pat Brit living in France or elsewhere on mainland Europe permanently and voted 'leave' is insane.

Sorry no image available
Posted by borjastick-512278 - 3 months ago

There's always a presumption that every ex-pat would have voted to remain in the EU. This is not the case. I know a good many full time ex-pats here who definitely voted for Brexit, me included. As for the point of the 15 year rule, I am perfectly happy with it. Makes sense to me.