DISCUSSIONS

Find the answers to many of your expat questions here

View Latest Posts

You're missing out...

As a member you can enjoy exclusive info and offers.

REGISTER NOW

France Telecom - Orange Livebox

Posted by martinpittaway@mac.com - Created: 3 years ago
0 0
Sorry no image available

10 replies (Showing replies: 1 to 10)

Sorry no image available
Posted by kcsun-598284 - 6 months ago

tperla - have you got one? what do you think of it?

we are in the red zone so it is available to us

i think you are limited to 200gb a month?

reviews seem to suggest it is not good from 7-9 in morning and 4-7 in evening as people using their mobiles to and from work

Sorry no image available
Posted by Iolanthe-611425 - 6 months ago

One of the first really useful and informative discussions for a very long time

Sorry no image available
Posted by tperla - 6 months ago

Look boyz-'n-girlz, since this discussion started Bouygues has installed 4G in the Gers. If living in the countryside, however, you must look to find if a close water-tower is transmitting 4G. 

That is done by looking at the Bouygues 4G map for the Gers. So, go here: https://www.bouyguestelecom.fr/notre-reseau/cartes-de-couverture-reseau

Then in the "Votre Recherche" box, type your town's postal code. As you do so, the box will suggest variants, so continue until you get exactly your postal-code and village name correctly. Below the box is an identifier that suggests the name. Select OK only when the full name of the village is set.

Then punch "OK"

If the entire screen is pink with only an identifying pointer to your address, that means there is coverage. BUT, note the plus "+ & -" buttons on the upper left. Us the minus button to bring up a map with town names that you recognize. There may be spots in the countryside where there is no red but white colour. It can happen that you live outside a village where there is a white-zone, so be careful.

If you've got a question about coverage, go to the Bouygues boutique in Auch, where they perhaps can answer it. If not, take out a subscription and move the Bbox around to see where the reception is best.

Think also of setting up a 4G external-antenna to get the best reception. 

Sorry no image available
Posted by Dudley - 3 years ago

Lightning can damage anything connected to the phone line, even if the strike is some distance away.I get a text from Orange telling me to unplug the box whenever lightning is due.

Rumour has it they won't replace ones damaged when they have 'an alert' in place.

Sorry no image available
Posted by sambanova - 3 years ago

We are on our 8th box, the first few were the old grey type and the others werethe whte ones. I have never had any thing but good and helpful service from Orange both from the English and French speaking technical support service, have never been charged and have always been either able to collect a new one locally or the engineer has provided one on a callout. Speeds have been fine. I have no idea why the boxes keep breaking down but as long as we keep getting replacements we are not bothered.

Sorry no image available
Posted by CrosbieFitch.eu - 3 years ago

See the links in my earlier post for further details.

I notice that Nomado appear to have greatly simplified the umpteen different packages they used to offer into essentially just three. My deal was called something like Global 50 - which for €50 per annum provided 50 hours of free international landline calls each month, with reduced rate to mobile and premium numbers (unfortunately including voip numbers - by Orange, SFR, etc).

Sorry no image available
Posted by icanthearyouwhatareyouonabout - 3 years ago

Cheaper Package deal ! Have mobiles as Back up - but yes I would prefer your method!  What is the Brand and Model ? Was it a UK spec?

Thanks

Sorry no image available

I thought it would be dead, but just thought I'd check my assumption. There may have been a policy of enabling outgoing calls to 112, for example (which would be useful in a power cut).

The good thing about the Cisco VoIP box is that it handles incoming calls from the landline transparently - and in the event of a power cut, transparently passes the handset through to the landline (instead of the VoIP service).

Sorry no image available
Posted by icanthearyouwhatareyouonabout - 3 years ago

It's dead - why do you need to know this

Sorry no image available

As an IT expert myself, I use a TP-Link ADSL modem, and a Cisco box to use Nomado's VoIP service (for outgoing calls only).

Aside from the independence aspects, this means my Orange landline still works during a localised power cut (or if the ADSL goes down).

I repaired my neighbour's interior telephone cable the other day (his missus cut the wire during decorating thinking it was no longer used), and I was a little surprised when he wondered why the ringer on a phone extension socket had stopped working some time ago. When you get a Neufbox/Livebox, you are (usually) no longer using the telephone wiring for telephony, but the entirely separate 'VoIP' socket on the back (even if you keep the same number). My question is: does the old line stop working for outgoing calls too? Is there no dial tone either?