DISCUSSIONS

Find the answers to many of your expat questions here

View Latest Posts

You're missing out...

As a member you can enjoy exclusive info and offers.

REGISTER NOW

The 2017/18 Skiing & Snowboarding Thread

Posted by Stella65 - Created: 6 months ago
0 0

As in previous years, people have posted an update of
conditions they have found on the hill so I thought I’d start one for this year
having had our first foray to Peragudes yesterday.

So feel free to post your reports here (although remembering
that yesterday’s awesome powder could be today’s boilerplate).

Fancy finding a mate to ski with or want to car
share for the drive up, then ask in this thread.

Have a great season – at least we have some decent  snow for the start this year.

Sorry no image available

10 replies (Showing replies: 1 to 10)

Sorry no image available
Posted by Stella65 - 5 months ago

We stay away during the school holidays (and have non-skiing visitors), although the webcams suggest Grand Tourmalet at least is pretty quiet. Maybe the presence of Macron is keeping punters away?

Forecast does look a little rough and the freezing level up to 2100. I do not ski in the rain!

Have fun anyone heading out and a slightly belated seasons greetings to you all.

Sorry no image available
Posted by Rucher - 5 months ago

Any recent experiences of the snow conditions? Looking at the Meteo, it seems tomorrow and Thursday 28th look rather wild in the Pyrenees...

Sorry no image available
Posted by Stella65 - 5 months ago

Grand Tourmalet 19th December

Just over 50% open, hard and icy in the morning despite the fresh snow but softening up towards lunchtime, although the Tournaboup area remained crispy all day. No queues.

Run of the day Coume l'Ayse.

Best snow top of 4 Termes.

Most flattering off piste under Panoramic lift!

Sorry no image available
Posted by lucy55-883129 - 6 months ago

can anyone give my friends  a lift to the mountains tommorrow from the gers

cheers lucy

Sorry no image available
Posted by Iolanthe-611425 - 6 months ago

Yes. 

Sorry no image available
Posted by Stella65 - 6 months ago

Dynastar will be up at La Mongie next weekend (15-17th December) with new models for testing. 

Mr Stella and myself will probably be going on Friday, given that our current planks are baseless, edgeless delaminating 15 year old models held together by P-Tex and hope.

Weather willing - the snow forecast is currently looking a bit on the rainy side.

Thanks for the input Iolanthe and bumping the post, although maybe if we could keep the thread on topic people might be more willing to  to contribute. Are you hitting the slopes this year?

Sorry no image available

In previous times, this thread would have 10-15 comments by now. It just shows what a disaster the site "upgrade" was (and still is), and how so many people left and have never returned. 

BUT, if proper and positive contributions are made, it might improve. Sadly any attempt by the Anglo-Info team to get the site turning over has been absent... Or if attempts have been made, then they have failed so far.

Whenever mentioned in conversation the response is always, "oh yes, terrible website change, I never look at it any more".

A salutary lesson in how to commit commercial suicide.

Sorry no image available

Keep it up!!

Sorry no image available

Opening day at Grand Tourmalet today and the resort was slightly less than half open, and not busy despite the large numbers of Spanish visitors. Snow cover is fine for the time of year, pretty thin in places and some icy patches around the cannons.

Best snow on the red runs served by the Sapins chair.

Lots of snow forecast - bring it on!

Sorry no image available

Peyragudes 5th December

The resort was 50% open with reasonable snow cover for the time of year. Some nice soft snow to be found, especially the reds in the Lumieres area although there was plenty of hard pack/ice beneath the snow canons.

The place was empty with no queues.

Roads clear, with just a little packed snow in the village itself and car park.