DISCUSSIONS

Find the answers to many of your expat questions here

View Latest Posts

You're missing out...

As a member you can enjoy exclusive info and offers.

REGISTER NOW

Advice Needed on Driving English Car in France

Posted by benandal-185374 - Created: 14 years ago
0 0

Hello,I'm moving down to Nice next month for a year or so and hope to bring my car. What do i need to do regarding tax, MOT and Insurance. Any help would be great!Thanksit's grim up north©

Sorry no image available

10 replies (Showing replies: 1 to 10)

Sorry no image available
Posted by Nice&Easy - 14 years ago

Slightly off topic but maybe not. What about headlights (if one hasn't done anything about it - oops!). And then if you also want to get a Controle Technique done on said badly-lit vehicle? Now I know that as a tourist you can get (in blighty at least) those funny stick-on kits to block out the lights shining into the (now) other side of the road. So questions are:-

a) would the car get through the CT with uk headlamps albeit with sticky bits on

b) Where could I get said sticky things round here?

i HAD THE SAME PROBLEM WHEN I TOOK MY RHD CAR TO HAVE A CT ON IT AND HAD NO STICKY BITS ON AS THEY FELL OFF!!SO TO MY SUPRISE THEY PASSED IT WITH NO CONDITIONS AT ALL FOR THE NEXT 3 YEARS .MUST SAY IT WOULD NOT BE THE SAME IN THE UK FOR A FRENCH CAR BUT THEY SEEM MORE LAXED ON THE STATE OF THE CARS RUNNING AROUND.........I MYSELF WOULD PREFER SAFER CARS THOUGH..

Sorry no image available
Posted by sarahg-190715 - 14 years ago

Thanks Mike - that was very quick - I should have posted here first before spending an entire morning not getting anywhere!

Sorry no image available
Posted by MikeP-180526 - 14 years ago

This is for Sarahg

If your car will be here all year,  yes you do need to register it here (theoretically).

You do not have to be resident officially - ie you do not have to have a carte de sejour - but you do have to be able to prove your French address and your identity.

Can I suggest a short cut ...... buy an old locally registered car and keep it here. Otherwise bring your UK car here and get someone who has lots of time and patience, and no money, to register it for you in France, in exchange for a fee! 

Sorry no image available
Posted by sarahg-190715 - 14 years ago

Just to confuse things.....we have a property that we use in holiday periods and lend to friends and we plan to keep a second hand vehicle at the airport to save on the astronomical car hire prices.  As we are resident in the uk - do we need to register the car in france as it will be there all year?  Do you have to be resident in France to register a vehicle?  Have rung DVLA, French embassy and so on - no one seems to be able to tell me.  The embassy suggested that I rang the local mayor's office, but my french isn't good enough yet and I am sure that they won't be able to tell me.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Sorry no image available

This is wrong.  Even if you have a French registered car in France you need a green card.  Try to telling to PC Le Plod when you get stopped on a roundabout where they are checking for the right bits of papers (they don't care about dangerous driving).

Sorry but you do need a Green Card.

Sorry no image available
Posted by richardr-181963 - 14 years ago

On the insurance front, I enquired with my Ins co about green card etc before setting off from uk - they said no green card any more, and no restriction on time. So I guess ultimately on the Ins Co...

Richard

Sorry no image available

Stuart Collins in Swansea.  However,  as they pointed out to me,  although they will issue a yearly Green Card,  it is up to you to know and adhere to local laws. 

Sorry no image available
Posted by julia w-181424 - 14 years ago

Our understanding of this is that (a) you need a green card from the uk insurance company (b) the uk ins co won't cover you if you don't bring the car back every 3 months (c) after 6 months you have to get it out of France or change to French plates (d) must keep the MOT up to date (can only be done in the UK) or your insurance is no longer valid (e) keep the uk road tax up to date.

If you change to French plates (easy as there are people who will go to the Prefecture for you - in Menton anyway) you could seem to be resident in France and get done for French taxes.  Since the UK is the tax haven and certainly not France, this may be duff idea.

If anyone knows of a UK insurance company happy to issue a year-long green card, please let me know.

Hope this is helpful.

Sorry no image available

Our understanding of this is that (a) you need a green card from the uk insurance company (b) the uk ins co won't cover you if you don't bring the car back every 3 months (c) after 6 months you have to get it out of France or change to French plates (d) must keep the MOT up to date (can only be done in the UK) or your insurance is no longer valid (e) keep the uk road tax up to date.

If you change to French plates (easy as there are people who will go to the Prefecture for you - in Menton anyway) you could seem to be resident in France and get done for French taxes.  Since the UK is the tax haven and certainly not France, this may be duff idea.

If anyone knows of a UK insurance company happy to issue a year-long green card, please let me know.

Hope this is helpful.

Sorry no image available

Hope this is helpful.