DISCUSSIONS

Find the answers to many of your expat questions here

View Latest Posts

You're missing out...

As a member you can enjoy exclusive info and offers.

REGISTER NOW

Any information on GPS for cars ?

Posted by sms9127 - Created: 14 years ago
0 0
Sorry no image available

10 replies (Showing replies: 1 to 10)

Sorry no image available
Posted by sms9127 - 14 years ago

Dear stgeorge, Yes, I can read a map.  And, I can go to the Michelin, Mappy or some other web site for driving directions, print them, and try to read them in the car while driving.  However, for long as I can, I plan to keep my mind OPEN to new, often better and fun ways of doing everything. So, now I'm going to have a look around FNAC ... I know the way !    Sue

Sorry no image available
Posted by TonyP-191937 - 14 years ago

In france they are claiming mid june and some dealers (expansys.fr) say it is ready for shipping.

The French version is a bit more expensive than the UK version because it needs a 256Mb card for the maps of France.

A final problem with the integrated products is that they dont work if the car has a metal film on the windscreen for heating or cutting down the sun.  A lot of recent Renaults, Citroens and Fords have these.

Even without the film you have to put the unit on the fascia fairly well forward so that it has a good view of the sky.

For these cars you have to get some sort of extension cable to put the GPS on the back shelf.  The heating wires in the back window dont interfere with the signal, and neither does the parcel shelf itself provided it isnt metal.

I hang my PDA from the rear mirror when I need directions in town.  It hangs just under my view of the windscreen so I dont have to take my eyes very much off the road to look at it. 

Tony

Sorry no image available
Posted by stgeorge-182529 - 14 years ago

What on earth is the matter with you car drivers ? Can't anyone read a road map anymore ? Or download from the Michelin site (from A to B) if you're going on a long trip .

stgeorge

Sorry no image available
Posted by grizzly-195735 - 14 years ago

Sue

PDAs are quite useful - I use it (apart from other things) to read books - you can get the whole library in one of them. A year ago my other half didn't want to have it, now she can't live without one.

PDAs can be re-programmed to have English or French operating system and you can have voice directions in different languages.

As for you DVDs - they should be OK if you get a multi-region DVD player, which are dirt cheap these days.

Apparently TomTom GO is not going to be available until the end of July.

Sorry no image available
Posted by gerbil-194494 - 14 years ago

Sue - If you look at the review of TomTom GPS software for Palm at http://www.pocketgpsworld.com/tomtom-palm-tungsten-gps.php about two-thirds of the way through you will see the four preference screens which allow you, amongst others, to configure language and distance units. The TomTom CDs come with multiple languages.The Garmin iQue3600 manual can be downloaded from the http://www.garmin.com/products/iQue3600/ but there is no obvious reference to distances in km. The FAQ mentions being able to load different languages/voices from the CDROM. The iQue3600 is now a fairly old Palm device and I would suspect an updated model from Garmin soon.

Sorry no image available

The TomTom software for PDA comes with different languages or at least the version I bought in Belgium did, and it is also possible to download different voices from their web site, including male voices. 

I dont know how it works with the Go though.  If you buy a PDA here it will be in French and French only.

You can turn the voice off on the part of the journey where you know the way in any case.  Usually it is just the last bit of the journey when you really need directions.

Whichever language you choose you can still change the units, so you can have a French interface, a German voice, a Spanish map and miles for the units if that is what you want.

On the other hand if you buy TomTom in the UK it will only include UK maps and you would need to buy the European maps on top to get the French map.

Tony

Sorry no image available
Posted by sms9127 - 14 years ago

The only interest I have in a PDA  is that can have GPS in it.  Yesterday, I didn't even know what a PDA was.  So, I too tend to prefer the stand alone concept of the TomTom Go.  But, after listening to the on-line demo of it last night, I too really hated the voice and wondered how long I could stand listening to it. Am I correct in assuming that what ever I buy, if bought here, that the set up will be in French and the voice will speak French and that I won't be able to change that ?  Is the voice language programmed into the device or, does the voice language depend on software I should install. What happens when we change cars / countries and are measuring distance in miles rather than kilometers ? Probably the program takes that into consideration and offers a choice ?  I couldn't find anything about that. I guess these questions seem elementary but the information available in the shops can be limited.  I have bought a good share of "incompatible" hard and soft for my computer from sales people who quite understandably can't know everything.  Not to mention all those DVDs I bought in the States which are zoned and don't work here. Sue

Sorry no image available

Although I am quite happy with the TomTom software, the combination PDA/TomTom is often a bit fiddly.  Sometimes there are conflicts with ActiveSynch, and often it locks up when the GPS is connected.

None of the ladies in my family will use it, preferring to stop and ask a passer-by for directions.  My wife also insists that I turn the female voice navigation off when she is in the car.

In the end I only use the PDA for car navigation, so if I had to do it again the TomTom Go looks a better bet.  Only trouble is that it is just released, so no-one knows how it works in practice.

The Garmin units have a reputation for doing their job well enough without any crashes or wierd errors.

Tony

Sorry no image available
Posted by grizzly-195735 - 14 years ago

I agree with TonyP - would rather go for one of TomTom gadgets, standalone like Go or PDA-based like Navigator III with (say) HP iPAQ 2210

Sorry no image available

You could always get it mail order from the UK, for example http://www.globalpositioningsystems.co.uk  They sell a bundle with a carkit and a memory card.

It comes with a CD for the whole of Europe.

Did you look at the TomTom Go?  It is a dedicated navigation system rather than a PDA running nav software, so it ought to be more reliable and easier to use.

Tony