DISCUSSIONS

Find the answers to many of your expat questions here

View Latest Posts

You're missing out...

As a member you can enjoy exclusive info and offers.

REGISTER NOW

Anyone got a Caterham or Westfield (or TVR)?

Posted by wjp-191185 - Created: 13 years ago
0 0

Hello there,

I've been thinking of getting ones of these for a long time. However the problem is that none of these British beauties can be legal bought in France. Up to know I've seen a few blasting around the riviera on UK plates. This however I imagin is not possible now due to the new road tax/MOT laws in the UK - unless you take the car back every year for the MOT.

Has anyone got any ideas on how you could own one of these down here?

thanks!

Sorry no image available

9 replies (Showing replies: 1 to 9)

Sorry no image available
Posted by lob-189383 - 13 years ago

yup - the club porsche days seem to be the only ones i can do at le luc - they are v.good vfm and great fun.the one nr aix is gran sambuc - not much runoff :(

Sorry no image available
Posted by wjp-191185 - 13 years ago

I've not been to one in about 3 years!! I checked the other day and there's not so many at Le Luc it seems these days, unless you can get invited by the Porsche club (I used to be in it), but unfortunatly everyone I knew is no longer in it. Ledenon has plenty of open sessions, but its a long drive there and back. I've never been to the one up in the hills near Aix (Sembaca or something), but from the map doesn't look the most interesting of tracks.

I think I'll wait for the cooler weather and then go (so my tyres don't melt too quickly!).

Sorry no image available
Posted by lob-189383 - 13 years ago

who is doing any track days this summer? - i have been away for all the le luc ones and have withdrawal symptoms.

Sorry no image available

Woah! thanks Mike - I'l have a close look when I get some time.

cheers

Sorry no image available
Posted by mike-179830 - 13 years ago

quote:none of these British beauties can be legal bought in France

The Caterham France website would suggest they can...

This page gives advice in French on buying a used Caterham (whether registered in France or elsewhere) for use in France.

According to this BBC story, France eats up 15% of Caterham production.

Meanwhile. this story on Caterham's own UK website describes Caterham Sevens in France, and links to this bilingual French website.

Caterham's website (under "international") also links to the Caterham France website above, and includes full contact details of the French end of the operation, Caterham France SA...

Mike

Sorry no image available

There's plenty of great cars out there, and I would definitly plan track days.

BUT - as mentioned how can you legally own one of these down here due to the registration etc?

Sorry no image available
Posted by waynep-195834 - 13 years ago

oops.. forgot to say... it is also the best trackday car you could ever get.. just a hint.. 400+bhp in an 880Kg car :-)

Either post to this reply (forgot to set the other one to notify me) or e-mail me.

Cheers.

Sorry no image available
Posted by waynep-195834 - 13 years ago

Hi,

Dunno how 'mad' you want to go or how individual you want to be here in the Riviera, but I know of a very special TVR that's coming up for sale shortly.. pretty much one of a kind.. about £30k & being registered in the UK.

If you're interested let me know.

Wayne

Sorry no image available
Posted by NuttR - 13 years ago

Driving back to the UK every year in a Caterham 7, although quick, doesn't sound too comfortable.  I think there's a TVR dealer in Le Cannet next to the Jag dealer...  One solution I thought of was to have a Westfield and just race it on a track on weekends but there's not a lot of other 7's to race against...