DISCUSSIONS

Find the answers to many of your expat questions here

View Latest Posts

You're missing out...

As a member you can enjoy exclusive info and offers.

REGISTER NOW

Anyone know an Insurer for a motorbike?

Posted by Nadia2003 - Created: 14 years ago
0 0
Sorry no image available

10 replies (Showing replies: 1 to 10)

Sorry no image available
Posted by Linda Caird-193057 - 13 years ago

The CX400 is an import that came into France but not UK. We have found insurance with Axa did not bother with classic as the normal all risks with Axa was fine. The bike has only got 2150 kms on the clock so in immaculate condition with no cm rattle or adverse knocking noises.Although has the typical CX start on one cylinder problem, 2nd one fires up when warm. Been informed by CX clubs in UK its a common fault with them that was never resolved. Bike was a gift horse we just could not refuse and is immaculate, hopefully it will give us some fun in the summer.

Sorry no image available
Posted by dubocage-199111 - 13 years ago

Try http://www.elsham.pwp.blueyonder.co.uk/cx500/  for a brilliant all-round CX rescource.

Bob is of course quite correct. It just looked so much like a Jap black import and as I'm psyching myself up to try and register a Yam Serrow I just had to ask.

Sorry no image available

Try www.legendeassurance.fr  the latest advert I have for them is from August last year and it shows a basic cost of 103.66 euro for a 15 to 19

year old bike and it goes down to 77.87 at 20 years. Their website lists none of Franky's conditions I think he's confusing it with collection registration which is different.

Early CX's did have bottom end problems, this was due to a camchain problem which chisled swarf off the casing and contaminated things down below. Later bikes were modified to solve this and any still running should be modified ones. Try 

Sorry no image available
Posted by Ex pat Bob - 13 years ago

Yes, there were CX400's imported to Europe ,into France anyway because of the strange licencing laws at the time. In france no one has ever heard of a Yamaha RD250 LC, this was a model for U.K at the time because of driving licence laws. The RD350LC was imported into France because of strange driving licence laws and the 250 version will always be a pale reflection of the 350 bcause it was just a sleeved down motor put into the same frame.

Sorry no image available
Posted by fastfranky - 13 years ago

Be careful, classic bike insurance is very cheap but use of the machine is limited, i.e. demonstration, classic events, or going to a garage.

I think your maintenance costs on a cx will cost more than the insurance!

Those things were dogs and ate big ends and crank bearings as fast as you could change them!

Good luck

Sorry no image available

Get a copy of a classic bike mag such as Moto Legend or Moto d'Hier and look at the advertisements. A bike that age should qualify for cheap insurance known as "classic" in UK and "collection" in France.

BTW are you sure its not a CX500 as, to my knowledge, a 400 was never officailly imported into Europe and it would be interesting to know how it was able to get a Carte Gris.

Sorry no image available
Posted by Linda Caird-193057 - 13 years ago

Any advice appreciated, we are about to purchase an 18 yr old Honda CX 400 motorbike.I presume my partners EU (UK) driving licence that includes his motorbike licence within it will be valid here, is that so? Has anyone any idea approx what we  would expect to pay for insurance for this size bike, driver well over 25 yrs old.The present owner has the Carte Gris, what else do we require to register this bike in our name.Thanks in advance for any help.

Sorry no image available
Posted by patsuzhan - 14 years ago

yes, mutuelle des motards is specialized in insuring motorbikes!!! there shouldn't be a problem there...

Sorry no image available
Posted by Nadia2003 - 14 years ago

Thanks for all your help, it is very much appreciated. I shall pass all details on to my motorbike friend.

This really is a top site!

Nadia

Sorry no image available
Posted by paul wormald - 14 years ago

i allso gained a 12.5 ton heavy goods licience with the trade in of my normal gb licience as i stated a few facts