DISCUSSIONS

Find the answers to many of your expat questions here

View Latest Posts

You're missing out...

As a member you can enjoy exclusive info and offers.

REGISTER NOW

australian driving licence exchange

Posted by jodyr - Created: 15 years ago
0 0
Sorry no image available

6 replies (Showing replies: 1 to 6)

Sorry no image available
Posted by pjderra - 15 years ago

I had my licence translated by the Australian Embassy in Paris. I also had to contact the state authority in Australia which first issued my drivers licence. This is because the French licence shows the date the licence was first obtained. Australian licences don't show this date and the French authorities require it as a rule. In NSW its the RTA - you'd know what it is in the NT I guess. This had to be translated as well - also from the Oz Embassy. I should say though, that the Sous-Prefecture in Grasse didn't seem to want this document. That may have been just the day I was there and could change of course if someone else serves you.......But if you are wanting more info you should contact Tim Baker in the Emabassy in Paris on 01 40 59 35 40. He will be able to answer any questions you might have. He's very nice and very helpful.Regards and good luckJai

Sorry no image available
Posted by seen - 15 years ago

could you tell me where you got the certified translation from? .My licence(Northern Territory) just mentions classes C and R did you actually need an explanation of the licence classes from somewhere ..Thanks.

Sorry no image available
Posted by angel-187474 - 15 years ago

Jai ... always good to know where the friendlies are ... even more so - the 'informed friendlies'.  They seem hard to come by here ... especially in the govt service depts.

Thanks .. Angela

Sorry no image available
Posted by pjderra - 15 years ago

Hi Jody,I'm another Australian living here and have just acted on the driving licence exchange you mention. I'm in the Grasse area and had no difficulty in doing so. Just went along to the Sous-Prefecture in Grasse with my Aussie licence (original and certified translation plus 2 photo copies of each) and my carte de resident (2 photocopies) and 2 photos. The Australian Embassy told me the Sous-Prefecture would require proof of how long I'd been driving which I chased up through the RTA in Oz but it wasn't necessary. The exchange was done on the spot - cost 48 euros plus a stamped envelope for delivery of the licence. They issue a temporary paper valid for 2 months. For anyone thinking of going to Grasse, get there early is my advice - if you are there when the doors open at 9am you'll avoid a VERY long wait.......Also I'd suggest going to Grasse rather than Nice Prefecture, much friendlier and up to date with the changes in legislation.Cheers,Jaips, think you sold me some furniture a couple of years ago.......

Sorry no image available

Me again ... another question ... I've been here a year and still can't get up the courage to drive here.  My driving experience is limited to Northern Queensland .... wide, wide roads and not many traffic lights!  Driving here nearly has me vomiting ... in fact ... just being in the passenger seat often freaks me rather. 

How did you get used to driving around in narrow spaces at incredible speeds, often with only a centimetre or two between the vehichle and any other object?  Heeellllllp!

Sorry no image available

Hi Jody

I am interested to know how you went with your permis de conduire?  Did you have to resit the test ... or was it a simple exchange of paperwork?