Find the answers to many of your expat questions here

View Latest Posts

You're missing out...

As a member you can enjoy exclusive info and offers.


Breakdown cover

Posted by Theswan-186225 - Created: 15 years ago
0 0

I am moving from Amsterdam down to Mougins next month and I am trying to get breakdown cover for my car, I have a Dutch car but the Dutch authorities can`t help because I have a UK passport and driving licence! Does anybody know of any French companies that may be able to provide cover?????Tim Swannietimswannie@hotmail.com

Sorry no image available

2 replies (Showing replies: 1 to 2)

Sorry no image available
Posted by Theswan-186225 - 15 years ago

Thanks Mike, I`ll look into that and see if it is possible, otherwise I think I`ll just have to risk it.Tim Swannietimswannie@hotmail.com

Sorry no image available
Posted by MikeP-180526 - 15 years ago

Most French insurance companies offer (sometimes included, sometimes an option), various 'assistance' packages which would help you in the event of breakdown/accident.  This does not cover the cost of the repairs to your vehicle in case of a breakdown, but offers a tow to a garage, and 'get you home' services if you are more than a certain distance (usually 50km) from home.

Your nationality and that of your driving licence (if it's EU) are irrelevant.  What might be a problem is to insure a Dutch registered car here.  You may have to change the plates - that is another story.