DISCUSSIONS

Find the answers to many of your expat questions here

View Latest Posts

You're missing out...

As a member you can enjoy exclusive info and offers.

REGISTER NOW

Breakdown recovery

Posted by mike_n - Created: 13 years ago
0 0
Sorry no image available

4 replies (Showing replies: 1 to 4)

Sorry no image available
Posted by LoriMansour - 13 years ago

We are insured by Groupama and they offer the same service.  Also, when we bought our car, a very similar service was offered by a different company.

Sorry no image available
Posted by weezer - 13 years ago

There isn't an AA equivalent, however, when you buy your car insurance, you can buy "assistance" for very little extra. This works pretty much exactly the same way as AA. You get a 24/7 France or Europe wide call number.

With one call you can get towing/repairs/accommodation arranged. "Assistance" pays all but reasonable excesses - just like AA.

I have AXA Assisitance. I broke down on the autoroute last week. The help I got from all call centre consultants was terrific, and all spoke English better than my not too bad French! The service was prompt, courteous and very efficient. The only downside - the autoroute is privately owned, so only Escota "police" can help with Escota affiliated tow trucks (fees still covered by AXA Assistance - just a longer wait for help.)

If you are used to having AA, speak to your insurer. I feel that very little extra is 100% worth it.

Sorry no image available
Posted by mike_n - 13 years ago

Thanks Tony,

I suspected this may be the case. I have been here just over a year and don't recall seeing anything that looks even remotely like a regular breakdown recovery vehicle. Thanks for the confirmation.

Regards,

Mike.

Sorry no image available
Posted by TonyP-191937 - 13 years ago

I dont even know of a French speaking breakdown service.

Many car manufacturers have a central help number which you can call and they will find someone local to help you out.

There will probably be someone at the central who speaks English but the person they send probably wont.

Tony