DISCUSSIONS

Find the answers to many of your expat questions here

View Latest Posts

You're missing out...

As a member you can enjoy exclusive info and offers.

REGISTER NOW

Bringing Car from outside EU

Posted by Stuart Findlay - Created: 15 years ago
0 0
Sorry no image available

3 replies (Showing replies: 1 to 3)

Sorry no image available
Posted by cotedane - 15 years ago

Hi,

I need to register an American car here, and have read the entries on AngloInfo Forum on the topic. I'm still not clear on what the updated process anno 2003 is. Can you advise, please, or respond with the web site addresses which you referred to as very good?

Many thanks in advance,

Susanne

Sorry no image available
Posted by MikeP-180526 - 15 years ago

[...EMBEDDEDIMAGE...]

Correction :

I should have said :

As your car is non EU and IF IT does not conform to an EU type

ALSO :

You may find this address useful :  There is no email but I can contact them on your behalf.

Land Rover Service Relations Clientèle

Tel: 0825843000

Lundi - Vendredi 08:30 - 18:30pm

Addresse Postal:

Land Rover France
Land Rover Service Relations Clientèle
34, Rue de la Croix de Fer
78127 Saint-Germain-en-Laye Cedex

Sorry no image available
Posted by MikeP-180526 - 15 years ago

Hi Stuart

There is a fair amount of information on this site about the processes for importation of cars, both under the information section and various postings.  If you can't find it let me know and I'll send you full details.

There are also various government websites detailing the procedures to be followed, and although they are very helpful and comprehensive, they are of course all in French.  You can also download all the forms.

I am in the process of registering a UK car here,  and can give you full information and a blow by blow account of the steps.  As your car is non EU and does not conform to an EU type,  it may be an expensive, time consuming and frustrating process,  especially if you do not have French speaking support.  Also you will probably have to pay import duty (although on a car of that age, not much).

When you say your vehicle is LHD,  do you mean the steering wheel is on the LH side, or that it is for driving on the left (as in SA or Zim which I am guessing, perhaps wrongly,  is where you are coming from).  If the car was originally UK reg. I would have expected it to be RHD (for driving on the left!).  Unfortunately most foreigners drive on the right (ie wrong!) side of the road!  Here they tend to drive in the middle.

If your steering wheel is on the right,  I would not suggest importing the car,  due to firstly the safety aspect, and secondly the greater administrative complications.

I know people who have bought RHD cars here from South Africa, intending to register them and in the end have sold them in the UK as it is not viable to sell or register them here.  In the past people have driven for years on non French numberplates, and the legality of this was always a bit of a grey area, but the authorities are clamping down on this now, especially with non EU cars.

A Landie is an ideal vehicle for here, especially an old one,  you can challenge the local 'gentry' in their little tin boxes knowing that you cannot lose!  The roads are a battlefield.  This area has the highest road accident rate in France due to a flagrant disregard for safety and the sanctity of other peoples' lives, although the police are beginning to do something serious about it. 

In answer to your last question, there are Land Rover agents here, but parts for older vehicles specially are expensive, the best solution is to order them from the UK where the availability is better and the prices about 30-50% of here, so even with transport costs there is a significant saving.

On balance of probability,  it would not be worth bringing it here,  but if you let me have further info I can check further.  And if you want to start the process now,  you would need to contact the Land Rover agents in France for a 'fiche de conformite', which will cost between 100-200 Euros.

Please email me for any further details.  Also I am involved with a group of people from (mainly) South Africa here and we provide not only a social group but also practical support so please feel free to use this.

Good luck!