DISCUSSIONS

Find the answers to many of your expat questions here

View Latest Posts

You're missing out...

As a member you can enjoy exclusive info and offers.

REGISTER NOW

Buying a new car - what deal/discount can you get?

Posted by harpo-187362 - Created: 14 years ago
0 0

Hi,

I'm about to buy myself a new Opel for which the garage quotes 18,000 euros list.  Can anyone give me an idea of what I should hope to negociate in terms of a discount on this?  Also thinking of a trade-in on my old car, 10 years old and no longer quoted on Argus, sales guy started at 1,000 euros - is this ok or should I sell the car privately?

cheers, andy

andrew harper

Sorry no image available

4 replies (Showing replies: 1 to 4)

Sorry no image available
Posted by yjme-181229 - 14 years ago

1,000 to 1,500 euros is the standard discountI was offered on a new car (of average 12-13 thousand cost of new car) in several garages just recently for handing over my 13 year old Peugeot. I have spoken to several French friends who have never, ever heard of 3,000 discount!   Please give us the name of the garage! You could of course accept the discount and try and sell your car for another 1,000 euros or whatever privately as suggested. One point, the higher your deposit, the more likely you are to get a bigger 'remise'.

Lots of French in this area go over to Italy to buy new French cars which are made as luxury models for the Italians, but which cost the same as ordinary models. Then you  just have the change of registration to deal with.

Sorry no image available
Posted by jonboy-191946 - 14 years ago

Why not buy in Belgium?

Sorry no image available
Posted by legend_in_my_lunchtime-182603 - 14 years ago

Without speaking of disposal of your used car, if you can do better than 5% reduction from list price (i.e 900 Euros) on the new Opel then I salute you and so would many locals well versed in the art of "à debattre".

Sorry no image available
Posted by scoobydot - 14 years ago

you should get up to 3000 discount or cashback for your old car, we got offered that for an 87 Golf, but if Iwere you I'd take the discount and sell privately