DISCUSSIONS

Find the answers to many of your expat questions here

View Latest Posts

You're missing out...

As a member you can enjoy exclusive info and offers.

REGISTER NOW

Camera on the A8

Posted by lob-189383 - Created: 14 years ago
0 0
Sorry no image available

10 replies (Showing replies: 1 to 10)

Sorry no image available
Posted by squeezy99-198138 - 13 years ago

A swiss driver who was stopped for speeding last year in the VAR had an on the spot fine of €600 and when the case came to court his advocat stated that the Swiss authorities had already fined him and banned him from driving for this offence and he was pleading for the French courts not to take any futher action....  Needles to say the French court was amazed a the speed of the Swiss authorities.

Be warned!

Dave

Sorry no image available
Posted by lob-189383 - 14 years ago

think yr ok with mc plates.i believe they are soon to hook all the european traffic offence computers together soon so there will be no escape.looks like derestricted autobahn's are soon to be restricted - the nanny state is taking over - we will soon be walking around with airbags on our heads and the word accident will no longer be in the dictionary.

Sorry no image available
Posted by EGP-193072 - 14 years ago

hi

what's the practcality of these penelties and suspensions when the speeding driver drives a non-French lincense plate car and has  non-Frenche driver's license (say a Monaco car with a monaco or UK drivers license)?

Sorry no image available
Posted by TonyP-191937 - 14 years ago

It depends on how you define a daft nutter.

I think that anyone who drives faster than I do is a daft nutter and anyone who drives more slowly is an old fool.

Probably, some of the daft nutters think I am old fool, and the old fools think I am a daft nutter, but of course I know they are wrong.

Tony

Sorry no image available

i think you haven't woken up yet ;-Pperhaps this new speed camera is a good thing - i personally see it as a cynical money making ploy. (well i would do now wouldn't I!!)I don't think the answer to road safety is to plonk speed cameras everywhere. You have to get at the plain dangerous and unskilled motorists somehow but not get the backs up of the average law abiding motorist with daft speed cameras like the one on the A8.

Sorry no image available
Posted by MikeP-180526 - 14 years ago

Lob :

quote:The number of points you lose depends on how much faster than the limit you were going:  <20 Km/h: 1 point quote:"There's one point off for driving at 20 kilometres or more over the limit ...."

The point I am trying to make is that these two statements are contradictory. Or maybe I just haven't woken up yet!

Tony :

No,  I have nothing to fear but I wish they'd concentrate on catching nutters rather than people who do a few kph over the limit. 

Last week I saw someone nearly cause an accident by stopping on a roundabout to set down a passenger .... he then drove off straight across a pedestrian crossing almost mowing down two small children in the process .... as it happened he was on his way to pick up his own child from the same school as my son .... you'd think that someone who has their own child(ren) would be a little more considerate towards others' offspring,  but clearly not.  When I challenged him he appeared to be totally unaware, or totally unconcerned, that he'd done anything wrong.

Sorry no image available
Posted by Squeezy-189941 - 14 years ago

I agree with the recent crackdown as it is paying benefits, death rates are lowering according to recent statistics.  It is a pity they do not catch more "mad" motorists who put our lives at stake.

Only the other week I was overtaken by a very fast Renault Scenic on the A57 just before Toulon, where the limit is 90k for a sharp bend.  The side walls here are tall and concrete, and as this car pulled back into the nearside he just lost control and hit the wall showering us all wit his debris - most unconsiderate.  He then regained control and sped off even faster!

Luckilly I thought he was not in full control and had slowed dow so I was able to miss the large pieces...

Dave

Sorry no image available
Posted by mike-179830 - 14 years ago

MikeP: I'll stick with the French Goverment figures, thanks. See here or here (bottom of page), or read this very informative PDF (500K).

Mike

Sorry no image available
Posted by TonyP-191937 - 14 years ago

MikeP posted then:

quote:I am in favour of a greater police presence on the roads and more stringent enforcement of safety laws, even if people think this takes us towards a police state. As someone who has nothing to fear, I'd rather live in a police state than an anarchistic one.

and now:

quote:1 point for 6 kph seems harsh.

Something to fear after all, MikeP?!!

Tony

Sorry no image available

howz that?less than 20kph over the limit and they give you a point ie anything over the limit but less than 20