DISCUSSIONS

Find the answers to many of your expat questions here

View Latest Posts

You're missing out...

As a member you can enjoy exclusive info and offers.

REGISTER NOW

can car insurance companies insure a person ?

Posted by Christiane-186506 - Created: 14 years ago
0 0
Sorry no image available

4 replies (Showing replies: 1 to 4)

Sorry no image available
Posted by Christiane-186506 - 14 years ago

Thanks again. I think I'll need it.

Chris

Sorry no image available
Posted by MikeP-180526 - 14 years ago

The rental companies will usually insist that you take theirs,  at least minimum CDW, because it is a pretty good profit for them, as they generally underwrite it themselves.

Same applies if you have a credit card whch covers rented cars - it is usually a fight to get them to accept that.

Good luck!

Sorry no image available
Posted by Christiane-186506 - 14 years ago

Thanks for your help, I'll keep looking.

I know car rental places offer insurance cover (and insist on it), but it looked like i could be better off getting a yearly one rather than one every time I booked.

Thanks again.

Sorry no image available
Posted by MikeP-180526 - 14 years ago

If you rent a car (through a company) the rental company can insure you and will usually insist on doing so.

If you borrow a car, the owner's insurance may cover you for at least the legal minimum third party - probably with an increased excess. You need to verify.

Some insurance companies can issue an insurance cover to cover you, the driver, for any car you may drive - I once had to do this.  It was difficult to find, and expensive. 

If this driving is in the course of your profession/employment,  you may find a professional policy that will cover you.  I did this when I worked as a tour guide but there is a lot of small print.