DISCUSSIONS

Find the answers to many of your expat questions here

View Latest Posts

You're missing out...

As a member you can enjoy exclusive info and offers.

REGISTER NOW

Car Recommendation?

Posted by jonboy-191946 - Created: 14 years ago
0 0
Sorry no image available

9 replies (Showing replies: 1 to 9)

Sorry no image available
Posted by jonboy-191946 - 14 years ago

Thanks to all contributors.

I enjoyed the humerous one

Sorry no image available
Posted by MikeP-180526 - 14 years ago

Despite this,  if you feel strongly enough about the issue,  and would like me to buy myself a Ferrari,  I'll happily accept your contribution towards the cost of that, or even a more modest but sparkly new vehicle,  to keep you and yours safer on the roads.

Sorry no image available
Posted by dublinmike-182617 - 14 years ago

I would like you all to send me details of the routes you regularly use so that I can take avoidance measures. The idea that you would buy a car in order to soak up the bumps and scrapes you feel you will inevitably have makes me shudder.

Getting hit carries as much blame as hitting something yourself and a little defensive driving (especially in the supermarket) might go a long way.

Please don't buy an old 4x4 or some sort of old tank, because I'm afraid you will use it on me or other unsuspecting citizens. I'd actually prefer you would buy yourself a Ferrari and I'd be guaranteed not to have to worry about getting hit by you.

Regards,

Mike :-)

Sorry no image available

Apart from the above,  which would be a little impractical and heavy on fuel,  I've always felt the best is to to drive a solid medium sized car which has already acquired the patina of years in the sun and the bumps and scrapes which inevitably go with the local driving style. 

Sorry no image available

Here's the answer :

SALE OF SURPLUS MILITARY VEHICLES

Middle Eastern Republic, currently under US administration,  invites offers from interested parties for surplus military equipment.

Large selection of armoured cars and tanks, many in original condition and with owner's manual (English translations available) and comprehensive supply of spare parts.

Ideal for overland trips across Asia and Africa, driving around the Cote D'Azur, supermarket parking areas, restricted parking areas at the beach, and similar demanding situations where durability and impact resistance is important.

Armaments optional (subject to local laws in your country of residence)

Please contact Comical Ali on Baghdad 47373792

Sorry no image available
Posted by aaronu - 14 years ago

never had my car scratched in 5 yrs, except by wife. Keep it in a garage at night, dont park in silly places! easy

Sorry no image available
Posted by tkw - 14 years ago

If you buy a cheap car you don't have to worry about scratches and bumps. Better yet buy one that already has a few scratches, that way you don't have to agonize over each new mishap. Either way the smallest car you can handle is the best...I rented a Citroen C3 for a month and it was a great little run-around. Maybe they are still a little bit new though to get a pre-scratched version, but anything french and small is good here.

Sorry no image available
Posted by TonyP-191937 - 14 years ago

Having a German car doesnt prevent it from being bumped scraped and scratched.  I reckon the best bet is either an old 4x4, or a Smart where you can replace the body panels every so often.Tony

Sorry no image available
Posted by MSM2000UK-181816 - 14 years ago

Just a few suggestions:

1. A 40ft container truck

2. A tank

3. A pair of legs

4. Failing the above try anything made by either the French (Peugeot, Renault or Citroen), or the Germans (Audi, BMW, Mercedes, VW). It all depends on what size car you want and how much you want to spend.

Max