DISCUSSIONS

Find the answers to many of your expat questions here

View Latest Posts

You're missing out...

As a member you can enjoy exclusive info and offers.

REGISTER NOW

Changing my car to French plates

Posted by Theswan-186225 - Created: 14 years ago
0 0
Sorry no image available

10 replies (Showing replies: 1 to 10)

Sorry no image available
Posted by jamesh19 - 14 years ago

I have an English registered and insured RHD Peugeot 206. I want to sell it and purchase a French (LHD and registered/insured) car. Where would be the best place to do both these things at the same time ?

James

Sorry no image available
Posted by Admin-179828 - 14 years ago

quote:IF YOU HAVE A ENGLISH REG CAR IN FRANCE AND DONT WANT TO CHANGE TO FRENCH PLATES

Then you would be breaking the law. You may not use the Forum to propose (or condone) illegal activities.

-----
Forums Administrator
forums@angloinfo.com

Sorry no image available
Posted by barbara 1 - 14 years ago

HI THERE

IF YOU HAVE A ENGLISH REG CAR IN FRANCE AND DONT

WANT TO CHANGE TO FRENCH PLATES THEN ITS BEST TO

GET A CONTROL TECNIQUE AND INSURE IT HERE .IF NOT

I WENT TO GARAGE CLASSIC CARS IN VALBONNE AND

JUST PAYED THEM TO CHANGE IT OVER FOR ME .

b stevens

Sorry no image available
Posted by wendy-179831 - 14 years ago

For those who need it, there is an Information page on registering a foreign car here: http://riviera.angloinfo.com/information/1/motoregister.asp

Sorry no image available
Posted by markmantock - 14 years ago

hi all

Suppose one did nothing but continue to drive on UK plates. Car is insured in the Uk with MOT.

What would happen?

Mark

mark

Sorry no image available
Posted by MikeP-180526 - 14 years ago

I did it recently with a UK reg car (LHD).  It is a bureaucratic paper chase as someone else said, and frustrating, but if you play their games it works.  It took me a few months (because almost nothing can be done concurrently) and cost me about 300 Euros.  I made one visit to Carros, one to the Tax office, and two to the Prefecture.

Sorry no image available
Posted by Carolebay-180697 - 14 years ago

Hi Tim,

I have a fact sheet on car plating you can e-mail me for a copy

Carole

Sorry no image available
Posted by nbay - 14 years ago

I registered a German plated LHD car here in 2000.
I had some problems because it was a Japanese car which was never sold in France. I had to get a certificate of conformity from the manufacturer.
I had to visit the DRIRE in Carros three times plus a trip to Toulon to have the emmissions tested. No body checks the car they just walk round it.
Its mostly just a paper chase.

The whole process is very bureaucratic and mostly a job creation scheme for mindless, unhelpful functionaires, I had a french speaker help me, I don't think I would have managed it on my own.

It cost about £400 including the Carte Grise
It probably worth doing if you like your car and want to keep it for a few more years. Just be prepared to be patient.

Sorry no image available
Posted by Theswan-186225 - 14 years ago

It is actually Left Hand drive and I quite like it but I suppose I can sell it if I really have to.

Not sure I`d get the best money for a Dutch registered car down here though, hence I thought it may be best just to get the plates changed

Any advice would be greatly appreciated

Sorry no image available
Posted by Paul Carmel-190537 - 14 years ago

If its RHD and you intend to live in France on a permanent basis FLOG IT!!!! and buy a French reg car. plate change on paper looks simple but the red tape involved can be infuriating.

PC