Find the answers to many of your expat questions here

View Latest Posts

You're missing out...

As a member you can enjoy exclusive info and offers.


Changing to French License - speeding points!

Posted by Kate Piercy - Created: 5 years ago
0 0
Sorry no image available

1 reply

Sorry no image available
Posted by Daisydoll-202178 - 5 years ago

Hi Kate,

I believe that they can't put past points on to your new licence.  However, it is a bit more of a drama now to exchange for a french licence - you have to pre-register with a special form.  I am still waiting for some kind of a reply two months after doing this ,so I think you must just then have to go with the forms from the government website and all the relevent paperwork.  You also need a certificate of entitlement from the DVLA (which isn't mentioned on any of the websites).  Once they do take your forms, it then takes TWO months for your new licence to arrive.  I am kind of putting this off again now as obviously you can't rent any cars overseas without a licence!!  Anyway good luck.  You are still legal to drive in the UK with an expired picture, but you can get fined by the police there for doing so (or so the lady at the DVLA told me!!)