DISCUSSIONS

Find the answers to many of your expat questions here

View Latest Posts

You're missing out...

As a member you can enjoy exclusive info and offers.

REGISTER NOW

children and motor scooters

Posted by Fosters-183924 - Created: 15 years ago
0 0

Is it illegal for a child to be carried as a passenger on a two seater motor scooter(under 50cc) ? Elaine

Sorry no image available

3 replies (Showing replies: 1 to 3)

Sorry no image available
Posted by Eric318 - 15 years ago

In France it is illegal to carry on the back of a "Cyclomoteur" (motorbike of 49.9 cc and under) a person aged 14 or more. A person aged under 14 may be carried so long as appropriate equipment for safe carrying is fitted (extra seat and foot rests) and s/he is wearing a protective helmet.

I think I have heard that some Peugeot 50cc Scooters actually are licensed to carry passengers. Best ask a motorbike dealer or simply a cop in the street.

I am not sure about small children, if they legally need special equipment.

The fact that you see duos of teenagers without helmets screaming down the streets is only an indication of how tolerant the Police are. This may change when Cyclomoteurs are finally fitted with Registration plates from 2004 I think (only new ones).

Sorry no image available
Posted by yjme-181229 - 15 years ago

Here you go:

http://www.puy-de-dome.equipement.gouv.fr/route/SECUROUT/MOTOPDF/ExpoMoto.pdf

If you don't read French, it is obligatory for children under five to have a special strap to hold them on.

Hope this helps! Safe riding!

Sorry no image available
Posted by yjme-181229 - 15 years ago

I have seen many children riding on the back of their Dad's bikes, so I am pretty sure it is not.  Of course the helmet is absolutely obligatory as for any passenger.

Will try and find out properly though unless anyone else answers you.