Find the answers to many of your expat questions here

View Latest Posts

You're missing out...

As a member you can enjoy exclusive info and offers.


CT or not CT?

Posted by Nicky & Paul-185522 - Created: 15 years ago
0 0

I have a Brit reg car with no CT and a French guy wants to buy it do I still have to get a CT before he can buy it??

Thank you in advance.


Sorry no image available

6 replies (Showing replies: 1 to 6)

Sorry no image available
Posted by MikeP-180526 - 15 years ago

I will haul out the notes from my other computer and forward them to you.  won't be before next week.

Sorry no image available
Posted by adukibean-188132 - 15 years ago

Mike, any chance of having the DVLA notes as well? This seems to be a very common problem, and I too would be grateful for any help.If you don't receive this reply I may email you direct.Many thanksJohn

Sorry no image available
Posted by Penney-180939 - 15 years ago

I would really appreciate to see the email you have from the UK DVLA as I reside here in france and have a Range Rover on UK plates, which I would like to change over eventually for French. It has only just arrived here and is taxed, insured, and with new UK MOT. All from UK

Sorry no image available
Posted by MikeP-180526 - 15 years ago

Well,  good luck.  If you sell it to him it becomes his problem not yours.  Swiss might in fact be more complicated than UK as it is not EU,  so maybe he will have no problems.

As a side issue,  if you took it out of the UK and did not officially export it,  you (or at least the 'keeper') are technically liable for the tax or duty.  If you need further info,  email me, as I have some emails from the DVLA which I can forward to you.  They are surprisingly helpful.

Sorry no image available
Posted by Nicky & Paul-185522 - 15 years ago

Thanks for that.

I dont know for sure but he thinks if it has a CT he can import it himself. He has done it before with a Swiss car. I realise Swiss is not English but the idea did not seem to bother him

I have foud an outlet that will do the CT with my English docs acting as the gray card and the English plates did not to seem to be a problem to them.

I will let you know how we go!!


Sorry no image available
Posted by MikeP-180526 - 15 years ago

I've investigated this in respect of my own UK reg car.

Legally, you can't sell it to him in France, so whether you get a CT or not is irrelevant other than giving him a certain assurance that the car is roadworthy.  He will not be able to register it in his name in France, until he gets French registration for it.  He may at that point require proof that you officially exported it from UK.  It is substantially more complex than you, as the original UK owner,  re-registering it in your name in France.

If he continues to drive it here on UK plates he will probably have no insurance cover and is in breach of other regulations too.

It is a bit of a minefield,  but if anyone knows of a satisfactory solution, please post it here as I'd love to sell my UK car without the hassle of re-registering it!