DISCUSSIONS

Find the answers to many of your expat questions here

View Latest Posts

You're missing out...

As a member you can enjoy exclusive info and offers.

REGISTER NOW

difficulties obtaining FR driving license

Posted by scratchy - Created: 14 years ago
0 0
Sorry no image available

10 replies (Showing replies: 1 to 10)

Sorry no image available
Posted by scratchy - 13 years ago

thanks expat girl :)  The 'code' is included in mu forfait for the license, so I go down there when I want, if i want...;if i feel I can face the hormonal teenagers that is ;) 

Sorry no image available
Posted by TonyP-191937 - 13 years ago

Dont know about the CD-ROM but there are plenty of web sites with sample tests if you have ADSL.

http://www.ousurfer.com/base/default.asp?CatID=723&mot=permis

Just tried one and failed miserably.

It is funny, but my daughter and her friends all went and got their driving licence as soon as they were old enough, but my son and his mates cant be bothered with learning the Code.

Tony

Sorry no image available
Posted by Collie21 - 13 years ago

With regard to the CD rom does anyone know where to get it from ???Can anyone tell me if a similiar exam passed in Ireland is valid here?? ( i doubt it but thought I would chance my arm anyway)hey does that wall have a crack in it?

Sorry no image available
Posted by Admin-179828 - 13 years ago

expat girl: e-mails to you are bouncing. Please go to the My Profile link on the main Forummenu bar while logged in and correct your address.-----
Forums Administration

Sorry no image available
Posted by expat girl-196204 - 13 years ago

Easier said than done Blaster bates.

Legally, you are supposed to learn to drive in the country you are officially resident in. I tried this route at first as I found the Code de la Route a con, but without an address in the UK you cannot register (officially) with the DVLA.

I know lots of people who have registered regardless, giving parents' addresses, siblings addresses etc but I didn't have that option.

One good thing to come out of it is that I don't get mad at French drivers...cos I'm now one of them.

PS Scratchy don't sign up for the Code de la Route classes. Waste of time. You'll be surrounded by 20 hormonal teenagers who all think it's cool to argue with every result. Instead, but yourself a good interactive CD rom. There are also some websites out there with forums answering any queries. When you feel you are ready to sit the theory test (you need to get no more than 5 wrong to pass) sign yourself up for a few Code de la Route lessons just to give you a feel for the exam conditions.

Bonne route.

Sorry no image available
Posted by Blaster Bates - 13 years ago

You could go to England and pass the english test and cut out all this bureacracy then drive here on your brit licence.Like this you will avoid the minimum number of hours tuition racket and the "code".

Blaster

Sorry no image available
Posted by TonyP-191937 - 13 years ago

Make sure you've paid it first or it doesnt count!Tony

Sorry no image available
Posted by scratchy - 14 years ago

ok thanks, I'll give them an EDF bill and see what they say, :)

Sorry no image available
Posted by TonyP-191937 - 14 years ago

They just want something linking you to an address in France.  A utility bill in your name is OK.

People learning to drive are often teenagers living with their parents.  They dont have any utility bills but they have tax papers with their address (even if they dont pay tax) so thats what the driving school is used to.

Tony

Sorry no image available
Posted by TonyP-191937 - 14 years ago

You dont need a carte de sejour anymore, just a passport and a utility bill.  You also need to supply a stamped addressed envelope.

If you are exchanging an EU licence with the BE or EB category, cars pulling a trailer more than 750Kg, you need to apply and pass a medical first, or else give up the right to the category.

http://riviera.angloinfo.com/forum/link.asp?topic_ID=25293

Tony