DISCUSSIONS

Find the answers to many of your expat questions here

View Latest Posts

You're missing out...

As a member you can enjoy exclusive info and offers.

REGISTER NOW

Do I have to do the 7h scooter training course?

Posted by indigomonaco - Created: 4 years ago
0 0
Sorry no image available

10 replies (Showing replies: 1 to 10)

Sorry no image available
Posted by belamica-188434 - 4 years ago

Hi Farhana,

Tks for your sympathy.  What I REALLY want is the piece of paper which says I can drive my 125 scooter!!

My courtier says we can't change insurances till next year, but you can be absolutely SURE that we won't be staying with the one we have now.  Zero support.  And if you have a fleet insurance you're certainly better treated than an individual, there's more money involved.  Dunnhh!!

The annoying part is that there is NO FLEXIBILITY, if you get caught up in the machinery you're really stuck.  And the good folks at the Préfecture only work in first gear, if that.

Sorry no image available
Posted by RivieraScooter - 4 years ago

Wow Belamica that sounds crazy!

I wonder if the 'rules' are different for us as we have a professional fleet insurance.

Our broker is in Golfe Juan and his name is Frederic Mauro he has been really helpful to us but not sure if he can speak English.

Good Luck.

Sorry no image available

Hi Farhana,

Tks for the info.  I'm getting really confused now, this is toooooo frustrating!  I have been driving a car since 1957 (!!), first on a US license, then CH, and now FR!  Always insured, no accidents, at 50% on the insurance.  Started riding a 50ccm about 8 yrs. ago, then moved up to 100ccm, and since 2 yrs. 125ccm.  The ins. co. even invited us to take part in a driving course in Le Luc, we had our CH licenses, they never said anything at all.  Then my OH bought a 250ccm (permitted on CH license) 2 yrs. ago, suddenly the ins. co. said "show me your license" and promptly suspended same till they saw a FR license, we were immobile for 5 mos., no car, no scooter, only 2x 50ccm to get around - in the rain this winter/spring - and STILL paying all the insurances!!

Tried recours gracieux with the Préfecture in Nice, then Min. of Interior in Paris, no go, but at least Nice said we're no longer "conducteur apprenti" (wow, thanks a lot!). I finally passed "Le Code" in June after months of intensive study, my OH speaks less good French, it'll take him longer, but I STILL can't use my 125 scooter; another recours gracieux with Préf. in Nice is outstanding.  The whole situation is too absurd for words. 

I'm sure you understand that everytime I read more info I get more confused...

Sorry no image available

Hi Belamica,

Not sure what the AM is but as far as I can tell the 'B's are all related to car driving and the 'A's to 2 wheels/motorbikes/scooters. You probably have already checked but there is also this site http://vosdroits.service-public.fr/F2842.xhtml

I do know that there is a rule that if your drivers license dates before 1982 you can ride a 125cc as well. Have you insured a 125cc in the last 5 years?

Yes I agree all these rules are really frustrating! I guess you have already done this but it might be worth you going in and asking at a shop where you want to buy or with an insurance broker???

Good Luck!

Farhana

Sorry no image available

Farhana,

I just looked, I have AM, B & B1, pink license dated 10.7.13.  These must be the new categories permitted since 1.1.13, I can't imagine anything else... All the years of driving, riding seem to be worthless as far as the paperwork is concerned. It's so totally frustrating, I cannot begin to tell you!

Guess experience doesn't count at all... 

Sorry no image available

Happy riding! If you are interested in a Vespa I would highly recommend contacting Sebastien at Cannes Scooters in Palm Beach!

Sorry no image available
Posted by indigomonaco - 4 years ago

Thanks Farhana!  I actually dug out my old insurance docuent for a 125cc, from 2010, so I'm good to go!  :-)

Cheers all!

Sorry no image available

Belamica - do you have an A1 license? I'm just curious to make sure I don't have to triple check back with our insurers!!!

Sorry no image available

Hi,

We have a Vespa rental company here in Golfe Juan and if you have the A1 you are good to go for a 125cc - don't require the BSR certificate. Also, if you have had a 125cc insured under your name in the last 5 years you are also fine. Never harms to double check with an insurance agent before making a purchase though!

Hope that is helpful!

Farhana

Sorry no image available
Posted by indigomonaco - 4 years ago

awesome, thanks!  Great link!!